Flip-flop is a circuit that maintains a state until directed by input to change the state. A basic flip-flop can be constructed using four-NAND or four-NOR gates.
Types of flip-flops:
- RS Flip Flop
- JK Flip Flop
- D Flip Flop
- T Flip Flop
Logic diagrams and truth tables of the different types of flip-flops are as follows:
S-R Flip Flop :
J-K Flip Flop:
D Flip Flop :
T Flip Flop :
Conversion for FlipFlops :-
Steps To Convert from One FlipFlop to Other :
Let there be required flipflop to be constructed using sub-flipflop:
- Draw the truth table of required flipflop.
- Write the corresponding outputs of sub-flipflop to be used from the excitation table.
- Draw K-Maps using required flipflop inputs and obtain excitation functions for sub-flipflop inputs.
- Construct logic diagram according to the functions obtained.
i) Convert SR To JK FlipFlop
ii) Convert SR To D FlipFlop:
Applications of Flip-Flops
These are the various types of flip-flops being used in digital electronic circuits and the applications of Flip-flops are as specified below.
- Frequency Dividers
- Shift Registers
- Storage Registers
- Bounce elimination switch
- Data storage
- Data transfer
This article is contributed by Kriti Kushwaha .
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Program for Binary To Decimal Conversion
- Program for Decimal to Binary Conversion
- Program for Decimal to Octal Conversion
- Program for Octal to Decimal Conversion
- Analog to Digital Conversion
- Analog to Analog Conversion (Modulation)
- Digital to Analog Conversion
- Verilog Data Types
- Conversion of Binary number to Base 4 system
- Types and Applications of LED
- Conversion of S-R Flip-Flop into T Flip-Flop
- Conversion of J-K Flip-Flop into T Flip-Flop
- Conversion of J-K Flip-Flop into D Flip-Flop
- Conversion of S-R Flip-Flop into D Flip-Flop
- Minimal to Canonical Form Conversion