Given three numbers a, b and m where 1<=b,m<=10^6 and 'a' may be very large and contains upto 10^6 digits. The task is to find (a^b)%m.
Input : a = 3, b = 2, m = 4 Output : 1 Explanation : (3^2)%4 = 9%4 = 1 Input : a = 987584345091051645734583954832576, b = 3, m = 11 Output: 10
This problem is basically based on modular arithmetic. We can write (a^b) % m as (a%m) * (a%m) * (a%m) * … (a%m), b times. Below is a algorithm to solve this problem :
- Since ‘a’ is very large so read ‘a’ as string.
- Now we try to reduce ‘a’. We take modulo of ‘a’ by m once, i.e; ans = a % m , in this way now ans=a%m lies between integer range 1 to 10^6 i.e; 1 <= a%m <= 10^6.
- Now multiply ans by b-1 times and simultaneously take mod of intermediate multiplication result with m because intermediate multiplication of ans may exceed range of integer and it will produce wrong answer.
This article is contributed by Shashank Mishra ( Gullu ). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find (a^b)%m where 'b' is very large
- Find N % 4 (Remainder with 4) for a large value of N
- Find Last Digit of a^b for Large Numbers
- Find the value of XXXX.....(N times) % M where N is large
- Program to find remainder when large number is divided by 11
- Program to find remainder when large number is divided by r
- Multiply large integers under large modulo
- Find all Factors of Large Perfect Square Natural Number in O(sqrt(sqrt(N))
- Find smallest possible Number from a given large Number with same count of digits
- LCM of two large numbers
- Sum of two large numbers
- GCD of two numbers when one of them can be very large
- Comparing X^Y and Y^X for very large values of X and Y
- Recursive sum of digit in n^x, where n and x are very large
- Remainder with 7 for large numbers