Prerequisite – SHA-1 Hash, MD5 and SHA1
Both MD5 stands for Message Digest and SHA1 stands for Secure Hash Algorithm square measure the hashing algorithms wherever The speed of MD5 is fast in comparison of SHA1’s speed.
However, SHA1 provides more security than MD5. The construct behind these hashing algorithms is that these square measure accustomed generate a novel digital fingerprint of knowledge or message that is understood as a hash or digest.
Some features of hash algorithms are given below:
- The has functions can’t be restrained.
- The size of the hash (or digest) is often fastened and doesn’t rely upon the scale of the info.
- No 2 distinct information set square measure able to manufacture the same hash.
Let’s see that the difference between MD5 and SHA1 which are given below:
|1.||MD5 stands for Message Digest.||While SHA1 stands for Secure Hash Algorithm.|
|2.||MD5 can have 128 bits length of message digest.||Whereas SHA1 can have 160 bits length of message digest.|
|3.||The speed of MD5 is fast in comparison of SHA1’s speed.||While the speed of SHA1 is slow in comparison of MD5’s speed.|
|4.||To make out the initial message the aggressor would want 2^128 operations whereas exploitation the MD5 algorithmic program.||On the opposite hand, in SHA1 it’ll be 2^160 that makes it quite troublesome to seek out.|
|5.||MD5 is simple than SHA1.||While SHA1 is more complex than MD5.|
|6.||MD5 provides indigent or poor security.||While it provides balanced or tolerable security.|
|7.||In MD5, if the assailant needs to seek out the 2 messages having identical message digest then assailant would need to perform 2^64 operations.||Whereas in SHA1, assailant would need to perform 2^80 operations which is greater than MD5.|
- Difference between OOP and POP
- Difference between CRT and LCD
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between C and C++
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.