Difference Between Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence
Internet of Things:
It field of computer technology, where physical devices are communicating over the Internet. Devices are termed as things that are sensors, and actuators that communicate and send information to each other on the web. It is an ecosystem where the interacting devices share data through a communication media known as the internet.
These devices are instructed with code to operate during a special event.
Advantages of the Internet of Things (IoT):
- Provides real-time data: IoT devices can provide real-time data on various parameters, such as temperature, humidity, and location, allowing businesses to monitor and optimize their processes in real-time.
- Increases efficiency: By automating processes and providing real-time data, IoT devices can help businesses optimize their operations and increase efficiency.
- Improves customer experience: IoT devices can be used to personalize customer experiences by collecting data on their behavior, preferences, and needs.
- Reduces costs: By optimizing processes and reducing waste, IoT devices can help businesses save costs and increase profitability.
Disadvantages of the Internet of Things (IoT):
- Security risks: IoT devices are vulnerable to cyber attacks, which can compromise sensitive data and cause damage to businesses.
- Interoperability issues: IoT devices from different manufacturers may not be compatible with each other, causing interoperability issues and hindering their adoption.
- Privacy concerns: IoT devices collect a lot of personal data, raising concerns about privacy and data protection.
- Maintenance and upgrades: IoT devices require regular maintenance and upgrades, which can be costly and time-consuming.
It is the field of computer technology that uses data as fuel and human actions to decide the output. Machines that are AI capable and are capable of cognitive thinking that is responsible to decide on the past or responding to an action to which the machine was unaware. These systems are built to support automation in the traditional approaches to building systems.
AI machines learn from past experiences and improve their performance for the future.
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence (AI):
- Improves accuracy: AI algorithms can analyze large amounts of data quickly and accurately, providing insights and predictions that are beyond the capabilities of humans.
- Reduces errors: By automating tasks and providing real-time feedback, AI systems can reduce errors and improve performance.
- Increases efficiency: By automating tasks and optimizing processes, AI systems can help businesses increase efficiency and productivity.
- Personalization: AI algorithms can be used to personalize products and services to individual customers, improving customer experience.
Disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence (AI):
- Lack of empathy: AI systems lack empathy and cannot understand human emotions or social context, which can lead to misinterpretations and errors.
- Bias: AI algorithms can be biased, reflecting the biases of their creators and training data.
- Privacy concerns: AI systems can collect sensitive data, raising concerns about privacy and data protection.
- Dependence on data: AI systems require large amounts of data to learn and improve, which can be a challenge in some industries.
Similarities between IoT and AI:
- Both deal with data: IoT devices collect data, while AI systems analyze data to provide insights and predictions.
- Both are used in automation: IoT devices can be used to automate processes, while AI systems can automate decision-making and other tasks.
- Both have potential to improve efficiency and productivity: By providing real-time data and automating processes, IoT and AI can help businesses increase efficiency and productivity.
Below is a table of differences between the Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence:
|Internet of Things
|A set of interconnecting devices over a network
| The machine is independent and interconnecting is not needed
|Both are complimentary in efficiency while Cloud gives a pathway to manage data.
|Highly Strong – As it facilitates the machine to think, enact and learn from the human instances created.
|Device capabilities are known in prior
|Machine capabilities can never be predicted
|Human Interaction is needed
|Human Interaction is not needed
|Human instructions are needed
|Machines can learn and start to act in a more human way
|Need of Instructions
|Needed to instruct devices
|Machines learn from experiences
|Learning from data
|In the Internet of Things, various sensors are present around us, and each of them has a few facts running through it, and the identifying information is transmitted on the internet.
|In artificial intelligence, the system learns from errors or background activity and attempts to grow itself to perform better.
|IoT won’t work without AI.
|AI is not dependent on IoT
|Price is substantially lesser.
|Price is mostly calculated based on each requirement.
|Applications include Smart Wearables, Smart City, Smart Home, Water Monitoring, etc.
|Applications include Chatbots, Job Adverts, Natural language processing, Speech recognition, Machine vision, etc.
|IoT is mostly concerned about the objects which are embedded with the technology that can capture sensory movements.
|AI doesn’t specifically require objects.
|Scalable being cloud-based.
- Portable software
- Allows you to stay connected.
- Energy use is efficient
- Extremely adaptable.
- Very useful in the health care sector
- It manages the collaboration of humans and machines.
- It keeps data in a logical order.
- An excellent substitute for repetitious activities
- Aids in the resolution of difficult problems.
- It is useful for completing repeated activities.
- Provide precise results
- Low errors
- Increase worker drowsiness due to single-click work.
- Unemployment rises.
- Because we rely on computers and technology, less activity of human brains is there.
- AI is costly.
- High reliance on machines
- Humans are more inventive than artificial intelligence.
- Storage is expensive.
The Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence are two distinct concepts that complement each other. IoT devices provide the data for AI systems to analyze, learn from, and automate. While IoT focuses on connectivity and automation, AI focuses on analysis, interpretation, and decision-making.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Please Login to comment...