1. Internet of Things :
IOT is known as the Internet of Things where things are said to be the communicating devices that can interact with each other using a communication media. Usually every day some new devices are being integrated which uses IoT devices for its function. These devices use various sensors and actuators for sending and receiving data over the internet. It is an ecosystem where the devices share data through a communication media known as the internet.
2. Machine to Machine :
This is commonly known as Machine to machine communication. It is a concept where two or more than two machines communicate with each other without human interaction using a wired or wireless mechanism. M2M is an technology that helps the devices to connect between devices without using internet. M2M communications offer several applications such as security, tracking and tracing, manufacturing and facility management.
Difference between IoT and M2M :
|Abbreviation||Internet of Things||Machine to Machine|
|Intelligence||Devices have objects that are responsible for decision making||Some degree of intelligence is observed in this|
|Connection type used||The connection is via Network and using various communication types.||The connection is a point to point|
|Communication protocol used||Internet protocols are used such as HTTP, FTP, and Telnet.||Traditional protocols and communication technology techniques are used|
|Data Sharing||Data is shared between other applications that are used to improve the end-user experience.||Data is shared with only the communicating parties.|
|Internet||Internet connection is required for communication||Devices are not dependent on the Internet.|
|Scope||A large number of devices yet scope is large.||Limited Scope for devices.|
|Business Type used||Business 2 Business(B2B) and Business 2 Consumer(B2C)||Business 2 Business (B2B)|
|Open API support||Supports Open API integrations.||There is no support for Open Api’s|
|Examples||Smart wearables, Big Data and Cloud, etc.||Sensors, Data and Information, etc.|
- Difference between IIOT and IOT
- Components of IOT and relation with Cloud Computing
- Trust Based Energy-Efficient and Secure Routing Protocols for IoT
- Challenges Faced By IoT in Agricultural Sector
- Different Ways to Prepare an IT Network for IoT
- Benefits of Internet of Things(IoT) in Manufacturing Industry
- World Of IoT Boards
- How Blockchain Technology Can Accelerate the Potential of IoT?
- 10 Security Tips for IoT Devices
- Sustainable development with 5G/IOT
- IOT as a key in Digital Health Care System
- 7 Best Languages to Learn IoT Development in 2020
- Difference between AMQP and HTTP protocols
- Difference Between Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence
- Difference between MQTT and HTTP protocols
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.