DVD Full Form
DVD stands for Digital versatile disk. DVD is a digital optical disc storage format. DVDs can also be known as “Digital video disc”. DVD technology allows for the storage of a large amount of data using digital technology. DVDs can store up to 17 gigabytes, compared to the storage capacity of a compact disc(CD). DVD-Video became the dominant form of home video distribution in Japan when it first went on sale in 1995. It is a highly compact disc. This disc can store enough data for about 17Gb. You must have a DVD disc drive or player to use DVD discs. It stores a large amount of data.
Physical formats of DVD :
- DVD-video : It is a digital storage medium for a motion picture.
- DVD-audio : It is an audio only storage format, similar to CD-audio.
- DVD-R : Is similar to CD/R which offers a write once, read many storage format.
- DVD-ROM : Is a high capacity storage medium.
- DVD-RAM : Was first re_writable(erasable) disc
- DVD’s are used to hold very large files several Gb.
- DVD’s are portable.
- DVD’s have five to ten time’s the capacity compared to CD.
- Increased capacity.
- Better Interactivity.
- DVD are used by software companies for distributing software programs and data
- Can store large amount of data.
- Does not transmit virus.
- Digitally recorded is reliable.
- Not susceptible to magnetic fields.Resistant to heat.
- DVD player can read CD’s.
- Not fully supported by HDTV.
- Incompatibility of discs and players.
- There is no single standard of DVD.
- Copy protection.
- DVD’s do not work in CD ROM drives.