Given a number n, count number of n length strings with consecutive 1’s in them.
Input : n = 2 Output : 1 There are 4 strings of length 2, the strings are 00, 01, 10 and 11. Only the string 11 has consecutive 1's. Input : n = 3 Output : 3 There are 8 strings of length 3, the strings are 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110 and 111. The strings with consecutive 1's are 011, 110 and 111. Input : n = 5 Output : 19
The reverse problem of counting strings without consecutive 1’s can be solved using Dynamic Programming (See the solution here). We can use that solution and find the required count using below steps.
1) Compute number of binary strings without consecutive 1’s using the approach discussed here. Let this count be c.
2) Count of all possible binary strings with consecutive 1’s is 2^n where n is input length.
3) Total binary strings with consecutive 1 is 2^n – c.
Below is implementation of above steps.
Time complexity of above solution is O(n). We can optimize above solution to work in O(Logn).
If we take a closer look at the pattern of counting strings without consecutive 1’s, we can observe that the count is actually (n+2)’th Fibonacci number for n >= 1. The Fibonacci Numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 141, ….
n = 1, count = 0 = 21 - fib(3) n = 2, count = 1 = 22 - fib(4) n = 3, count = 3 = 23 - fib(5) n = 4, count = 8 = 24 - fib(6) n = 5, count = 19 = 24 - fib(7) ................
We can find n’th Fibonacci Number in O(Log n) time (See method 4 here).
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Count of binary strings of length N with even set bit count and at most K consecutive 1s
- Count of sub-strings with equal consecutive 0's and 1's
- Count number of binary strings without consecutive 1's
- Count number of binary strings without consecutive 1’s : Set 2
- Count of Binary strings of length N having atmost M consecutive 1s or 0s alternatively exactly K times
- Count of binary strings of length N having equal count of 0's and 1's and count of 1's ≥ count of 0's in each prefix substring
- Find the number of binary strings of length N with at least 3 consecutive 1s
- Count of binary strings of length N having equal count of 0's and 1's
- Count All Palindrome Sub-Strings in a String | Set 1
- Count of Binary Strings possible as per given conditions
- Count pair of strings whose concatenation has every vowel
- Count binary strings with twice zeros in first half
- Count of binary strings of given length consisting of at least one 1
- Count of non-overlapping sub-strings "101" and "010" in the given binary string
- Check if bits of a number has count of consecutive set bits in increasing order
- Count of distinct XORs formed by rearranging two Binary strings
- Count binary strings with k times appearing adjacent two set bits
- Count number of binary strings such that there is no substring of length greater than or equal to 3 with all 1's
- Queries to count distinct Binary Strings of all lengths from N to M satisfying given properties
- Pairs of complete strings in two sets of strings
Improved By : jit_t