Computer Network means an interconnection of autonomous (stand alone) computers for information exchange. The connecting media could be a copper wire, optical fibre, microwave or satellite.
Networking Elements – The computer network includes the following networking elements:
- At least two computers
- Transmission medium either wired or wireless
- Protocols or rules that govern the communication
- Network software such as Network Operating System
The criteria that have to be met by a computer network are:
1. Performance – It is measured in terms of transit time and response time.
- Transit time is the time for a message to travel from one device to another
- Response time is the elapsed time between an inquiry and a response.
Performance is dependent on the following factors:
- The number of users
- Type of transmission medium
- Capability of connected network
- Efficiency of software
2. Reliability – It is measured in terms of
- Frequency of failure
- Recovery from failures
- Robustness during catastrophe
3. Security – It means protecting data from unauthorized access.
Goals of Computer Networks: The following are some important goals of computer networks:
- Resource Sharing –
Many organization have a substantial number of computers in operations, while are located apart. Ex. A group of office workers can share a common printer, fax, modem, scanner etc.
- High Reliability –
If there are alternate sources of supply, all files could be replicated on two or, machines. I f one of them is not available, due to hardware failure, the other copies could be used.
- Inter-process Communication –
Network users, located geographically apart, may converse in an interactive session through the network. In order to permit this, the network must provide almost error free communications.
- Flexible access –
Files can be accessed from any computer in the network. The project can be begun on one computer and finished on another.
Other goals are Distribution of processing functions, Centralized management and allocation of network resources, Compatibility of dissimilar equipment and software, Good network performance, Saving money, Scalability, Saving money, Access to remote information, Person to person communication etc.,
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- How to setup firewal in Linux?
- Computer Network | IP security (IPSec)
- Computer Network | System security
- Nokia Interview Experience | Set 5
- Computer Network | Dynamic NAT (on ASA)
- Computer Network | VLAN ACL (VACL)
- Computer Network | Static NAT (on ASA)
- Computer Network | Private VLAN
- Computer Network | Cisco ASA Redistribution example
- Image encryption using cellular automata