XGA Full Form
XGA stands for Extended Graphics Array, one of the most widespread resolution which supports more simultaneous colors and graphics. As its name is defined graphics in extend form. Extended Graphics Array is a computer display standard that provides high-resolution video display mode. The co-processor provides hardware drawing-assist functions by line drawing, Area filling, Logical and arithmetic mixing, X and Y axis addressing, etc in real or virtual memory.
History of XGA: Extended Graphics Array was introduced by IBM in 1990, is a Made and marketed under a patent standard that was originally intended to replace the VGA video standard (Video Graphics Array). XGA provides screen pixel resolution of 1, 024 horizontal pixels by 768 vertical pixels display resolution and 256 colors. In 1992 IBM upgraded the chip and introduced as XGA-2.
Characteristics of XGA:
- Efficiency –
This resolution has better light efficiency, less power usage.
- Compatibility –
It is not only suitable for Powerpoint presentation but also for spreadsheets and financial reports.
- Flexibility –
Better price and outstanding image quality performance.
Components of XGA :
- CRT and Memory controller
- Sprite and Attribute controller
- Video memory
Advantages of XGA :
- Sharper image with data display.
- The XGA standard is used in desktop and laptop computers as well as in projection systems.
- Greater installation flexibility.
- XGA projectors are relatively affordable and even less expensive.
Disadvantages of XGA:
- It has lower contrast ratings in business products.
- Some XGA modes have 4:3 aspect ratio with square pixels and does not hold for certain standard VGA.