If you are a coder or programmer then your code editor is your home, a place where you spend lots of the time doing your favorite work. Though there are lots of code editors available in the market, you should choose a simple and also functional code editor of your comfort. It doesn’t matter whether you’re coding on a Linux, Mac or a Windows PC, a good code editor always gives you the same experience more or less.
So, if you are looking for the best code editors below there’s a list of some most popular text editors for coding. The best part is that all of them are free and open-source software.
It is a beautiful and sophisticated feature-rich text editor which gives you a premium experience during coding, editing code, markup and prose experience. This cross-platform and open-source code was editor built from custom components, which provides unmatched responsiveness and syntax highlighting engine and sets the bar for performance.
- Open files with only a few keystrokes, and instantly jump to symbols, lines or words with Go to Anything.
- Allow you to interactively change many lines at once, renaming variables manipulating files faster than ever with Multiple selections.
- Provides Powerful python API and simple access to thousands of useful Packages.
- Customize just anything like menus, snippets, macros, completions with simple JSON files.
- Edit files side by side, or edit two locations in the one file, Edit with as many rows and columns as you wish with split editing support.
- Switch between projects instantly with no save prompts, all modifications restored till the project is reopened.
It is a hackable, modern and sleek looking open-source editor of 21st Century for programmers developed by GitHub. It became popular even before its first stable release for its excellent list of features. It Work with Git and GitHub directly with the help of GitHub package, so you can create new branches, stage and commit, push and pull and all the git operation from within your editor.
- Cross-platformed, Works across any operating systems like OS X, Windows, or Linux
- Faster and smooth coding experience with a smart and flexible autocomplete
- Search and install new packages or create your own with Built-in package manager
- Split interface into multiple panes to easily compare and edit code.
It is a free open-source, cross-platformed and lightweight code editor from Microsoft which is very popular among developers. It provides smart completions based on variable types, function definitions, and imported modules which goes beyond syntax highlighting and autocomplete with smart IntelliSense.
- Work with Git and other SCM providers with Built-in Git support,
- Easy debugging of code right from the editor with an interactive console,
- Built-in extension manager with lots available extensions to download,
- Supports a huge number of programming languages,
- Integrated terminal and custom snippet support.
- Real-time visualization with connection to your browser,
- Inline editing instead of jumping between file tabs,
- Quick Edit and Live Highlight with Pre processer Support,
- High-speed HTML and CSS workflow with the popular Emmet Extension,
- Cross-platformed and git support with Brackets-Git
A free, open-source and super fast source code editor written in C++ which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size with pure Win32 API and STL support. It is not cross-platformed and runs only in the windows using GPL License, a more robust version of the Window’s Notepad software. It supports syntax highlighting and has auto-completion for words and functions. This editor ranks 3rd for the Most Popular Development Environments in StackOverflow’s Developer Survey 2019 where overall 30.5% of developers among 90k developer use this editor for web development.
- Super lightweight with small download and program size,
- Entirely Customizable GUI
- Supports Plugin to extend functionality,
- Multi-view option and Multiple Language support
- User-defined Syntax highlighting with Macro recording and playback.
You can use any one among these most popular code editors for web development depending upon your own comfort. Different editors have different unique functionality so choose your editor depending upon your project requirements.
- Top 10 Python IDE and Code Editors in 2020
- Top 5 Open Source Java Frameworks in 2020
- Top 5 Free and Open-Source Version Control Tools in 2020
- Top 5 Free, Cross-Platform, and Open-Source Database System in 2020
- Contributing to Open Source : Getting Started
- Flutter | An introduction to the open source SDK by Google
- How to begin Contributing to DuckDuckGo’s Open Source Community
- Making your first Open Source Pull Request | Github
- Step Wise Guide to start with Open Source
- Gradle Build Tool I Modern Open Source Build Automation
- Software Freedom in FOSS (Free and open-source software)
- 7 Tips To Write Clean And Better Code in 2020
- Editors and Its types in System Programming
- How to Hack a Open WiFi?
- What is Google Code-In?
- Code Injection and Mitigation with Example
- Why is it Better to Learn to Code on a Whiteboard?
- Hackathon - Think, Code, Create
- Making a QR code for a website
- How to Participate in Google Code-In (GCI) as a Mentor?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.