- A stable sorting algorithm works in O(n Log n) time
- Used in Java’s Arrays.sort() as well as Python’s sorted() and sort().
- First sort small pieces using Insertion Sort, then merges the pieces using merge of merge sort.
We divide the Array into blocks known as Run. We sort those runs using insertion sort one by one and then merge those runs using combine function used in merge sort. If the size of Array is less than run, then Array get sorted just by using Insertion Sort. The size of run may vary from 32 to 64 depending upon the size of the array. Note that merge function performs well when sizes subarrays are powers of 2. The idea is based on the fact that insertion sort performs well for small arrays.
Details of below implementation :
- We consider size of run as 32.
- We one by one sort pieces of size equal to run
- After sorting individual pieces, we merge them one by one. We double the size of merged subarrays after every iteration.
Given Array is 5 21 7 23 19 After Sorting Array is 5 7 19 21 23
This article is contributed by Aditya Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Implementing Counting Sort using map in C++
- Sorting Algorithms Visualization | Selection Sort
- Lexicographical ordering using Heap Sort
- Find Kth element in an array containing odd elements first and then even elements
- Swap Alternate Boundary Pairs
- Find the first N pure numbers
- Count permutation such that sequence is non decreasing
- Find the kth smallest number with sum of digits as m
- Python | Returning index of a sorted list
- Product of minimum edge weight between all pairs of a Tree
- Find minimum changes required in an array for it to contain k distinct elements
- Merge K sorted Doubly Linked List in Sorted Order
- Sort an array of strings according to string lengths using Map
- Find the winner of the match | Multiple Queries