- A stable sorting algorithm works in O(n Log n) time
- Used in Java’s Arrays.sort() as well as Python’s sorted() and sort().
- First sort small pieces using Insertion Sort, then merges the pieces using merge of merge sort.
We divide the Array into blocks known as Run. We sort those runs using insertion sort one by one and then merge those runs using combine function used in merge sort. If the size of Array is less than run, then Array get sorted just by using Insertion Sort. The size of run may vary from 32 to 64 depending upon the size of the array. Note that merge function performs well when sizes subarrays are powers of 2. The idea is based on the fact that insertion sort performs well for small arrays.
Details of below implementation :
- We consider size of run as 32.
- We one by one sort pieces of size equal to run
- After sorting individual pieces, we merge them one by one. We double the size of merged subarrays after every iteration.
Given Array is 5 21 7 23 19 After Sorting Array is 5 7 19 21 23
This article is contributed by Aditya Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Count the triplets such that A[i] < B[j] < C[k]
- Check whether an array can be made strictly increasing by modifying atmost one element
- Check if the given matrix is increasing row and column wise
- Check if the given array contains all the divisors of some integer
- Sort an alphanumeric string such that the positions of alphabets and numbers remain unchanged
- Find number from its divisors
- Find the largest interval that contains exactly one of the given N integers.
- Maximize the size of array by deleting exactly k sub-arrays to make array prime
- Sort an array according to count of set bits | Set 2
- Count of integers of the form (2^x * 3^y) in the range [L, R]
- Program to print an array in Pendulum Arrangement with constant space
- Odd Even Transposition Sort / Brick Sort using pthreads
- Smallest multiple of N formed using the given set of digits
- Kth largest node among all directly connected nodes to the given node in an undirected graph