Screen Reader utilities in bootstrap with Examples
The screen reader utility in Bootstrap helps to restrict an element to the screen readers only. That is by using the screen reader utility we can hide an element in all other devices except for screen readers.
The Screen Reader utility also provide an option to display the hidden elements again when focused. For example, when navigated with a key board.
Classes Available in Screen Reader Utility:
- .sr-only: This class hides an element in all devices except for the Screen Readers.
- .sr-only-focusable: If this class is used on an hidden element with .sr-only class, then the element will be visible when focused by any thing like keyboard.
Below examples explains the Screen Reader utilities in Bootstrap:
- Let us create a Heading element with .sr-only class:
- So as we can see it’s not visible in the browser, but if we look in the inspector we can see that it’s still there however not taking up any space on the screen now.
- Let’s now create a link which will act as a skip link that will become visible when gained focus by navigating with a keyboard. To do this we use both of the classes .sr-only and .sr-only-focusable as shown below:
- As we can see in the inspector it’s right beneath the heading element and both of them are hidden now.
- On pressing the tab key once the Skip link will become highlighted.
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer