Rasool, the man who delivers eggs to my home everyday, did not turn up one day. So when he came the next morning I demanded an explanation from him. He told me the following story:
The previous morning when he just came out of the house carrying a basket full of eggs on his head to start his daily rounds and stepped on to the street, a car going full speed brushed against him and knocked down his basket destroying all the eggs. The driver, however, a thorough gentleman admitted his responsibility and offered to compensate him for damages. But Rasool could not remember the exact number of eggs he had, but he estimated the number at between 50 and 100. He was also able to tell the gentleman that if the eggs were counted by 2’s and 3’s at a time, none would be left, but if counted by 5’s at a time, 3 would remain, and that he sold the eggs at 5O paise a piece. The gentleman made some quick calculations and paid Rasool adequately.
How much did the gentleman pay Rasool?
The simplest way is to find those numbers between 50 and 100, which are multiples of 2 and 3 leaving no remainder. These numbers are 54, 60, 66, 72, 78, 84, 90 and 96. By scrutiny we find that if 78 is divided by 5 it will give 15 plus 3 left over. Therefore 78 is the total number of eggs Rasool had in his basket, before the accident. And therefore he was paid Rs.39 by the gentleman.
Puzzles To Puzzle You (Shakuntala Devi)
This article is contributed by Bishal Kumar Dubey. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Egg Dropping Puzzle with 2 Eggs and K Floors
- Puzzle 49 | King and his Elephants
- Puzzle | Set 35 (2 Eggs and 100 Floors)
- Eggs dropping puzzle | Set 2
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle