Parity: Parity of a number refers to whether it contains an odd or even number of 1-bits. The number has “odd parity”, if it contains odd number of 1-bits and is “even parity” if it contains even number of 1-bits.
Main idea of the below solution is – Loop while n is not 0 and in loop unset one of the set bits and invert parity.
Algorithm: getParity(n) 1. Initialize parity = 0 2. Loop while n != 0 a. Invert parity parity = !parity b. Unset rightmost set bit n = n & (n-1) 3. return parity Example: Initialize: n = 13 (1101) parity = 0 n = 13 & 12 = 12 (1100) parity = 1 n = 12 & 11 = 8 (1000) parity = 0 n = 8 & 7 = 0 (0000) parity = 1
Parity of no 7 = odd
Above solution can be optimized by using lookup table. Please refer to Bit Twiddle Hacks[1st reference] for details.
Time Complexity: The time taken by above algorithm is proportional to the number of bits set. Worst case complexity is O(Log n).
Uses: Parity is used in error detection and cryptography.
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html#ParityNaive – last checked on 30 May 2009.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find the maximum sum pair in an Array with even parity
- Compute the parity of a number using XOR and table look-up
- Count numbers which can be represented as sum of same parity primes
- Minimum operations required to modify the array such that parity of adjacent elements is different
- Longest alternative parity subsequence
- Minimum integer that can be obtained by swapping adjacent digits of different parity
- Range Queries to count the number of even parity values with updates
- Count of all possible pairs of array elements with same parity
- Parity of the given mathematical expression using given N numbers
- Count of all subsequences having adjacent elements with different parity
- Construct a square Matrix whose parity of diagonal sum is same as size of matrix
- Program to find whether a no is power of two
- Program to find amount of water in a given glass
- Program to find the Roots of Quadratic equation
- Program to find last digit of n'th Fibonnaci Number
- C++ program to find all numbers less than n, which are palindromic in base 10 and base 2.
- Program to find Normal and Trace of a matrix
- C program to find Decagonal Number
- Program to find Cullen Number
- Program to find Star number