What is Django?
Django is a Python-based web framework which allows you to quickly create web application without all of the installation or dependency problems that you normally will find with other frameworks.
When you’re building a website, you always need a similar set of components: a way to handle user authentication (signing up, signing in, signing out), a management panel for your website, forms, a way to upload files, etc. Django gives you ready-made components to use.
- It’s very easy to switch database in Django framework.
- It has built-in admin interface which makes easy to work with it.
- Django is fully functional framework that requires nothing else.
- It has thousands of additional packages available.
- It is very scalable.
Popularity of Django
Django is used in many popular sites like as: Disqus, Instagram, Knight Foundation, MacArthur Foundation, Mozilla, National Geographic etc. There are more than 5k online sites based on the Django framework. ( Source )
Sites like Hot Frameworks assess the popularity of a framework by counting the number of GitHub projects and StackOverflow questions for each platform, here Django is in 6th position. Web frameworks often refer to themselves as “opinionated” or “un-opinionated” based on opinions about the right way to handle any particular task. Django is somewhat opinionated, hence delivers the in both worlds( opinionated & un-opinionated ).
Features of Django
Versatility of Django
Django can build almost any type of website. It can also work with any client-side framework and can deliver content in any format such as HTML, JSON, XML etc. Some sites which can be built using Django are wikis, social networks, new sites etc.
Since Django framework is made for making web development easy, it has been engineered in such a way that it automatically do the right things to protect the website. For example, In the Django framework instead of putting a password in cookies, the hashed password is stored in it so that it can’t be fetched easily by hackers.
Django web nodes have no stored state, they scale horizontally – just fire up more of then when you need them. Being able to do this is the essence of good scalability. Instagram and Disqus are two Django based products that have millions of active users, this is taken as an example of the scalability of Django.
All the codes of the Django framework are written in Python, which runs on many platforms. Which leads to run Django too in many platforms such as Linux, Windows and Mac OS.
Installation of Django
- Install python3 if not installed in your system ( according to configuration of your system and OS) from here . Try to download the latest version of python it’s python3.6.4 this time.
- Install pip- Open command prompt and enter following command-
Note- Installation of Django in Linux and Mac is similar, here I am showing it in windows for Linux and mac just open terminal in place of command prompt and go through the following commands.
python -m pip install -U pip
pip install virtualenv
Follow these steps to set up a virtual environment-
- Create a virtual environment by giving this command in cmd-
- Change directory to env_site by this command-
- Go to Script directory inside env_site and activate virtual environment-
pip install django
django-admin startproject geeks_site
python manage.py runserver
Benefits of Django Architecture –
- Rapid Development
- Loosely Coupled
- Ease of Modification
Drawbacks of MVC Architecture –
- Too much load on Model Component
- Development Complexity is high
- Two components are controlling View
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Django REST Framework Installation
- Beginning BootStrap (Part-1) | Introduction and Installation
- Introduction and Installation of Git
- Introduction and Installation of Heroku CLI on Windows machine
- Introduction and Installation of Uberi/Speechrecognition in Python
- Selenium Python Introduction and Installation
- Wand Python - Introduction and Installation
- pgmagick Python- Introduction and Installation
- Jython - Introduction and Installation
- Connect Django Project to MongoDB using Django
- Styling Django Forms with django-crispy-forms
- Adding Tags Using Django-Taggit in Django Project
- LAMP installation and important PHP configurations on Ubuntu
- Django Introduction | Set 2 (Creating a Project)
- Beautifulsoup Installation - Python
- Tableau Installation Guide
- Django Request and Response cycle - HttpRequest and HttpResponse Objects
- Python | Django-allauth setup and Configuration
- Python Django | Google authentication and Fetching mails from scratch
- Django Sign Up and login with confirmation Email | Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : NaveenArora