When it comes to making a website or app coding involves basically three types of languages i.e the programming language, Scripting Language and Markup Language.
There are a lot of people who consider coding as just developing or making a website but they need to understand every single language fits into a particular category and we need to know which category that language fits into. We will discuss in detail about the difference between these three main categories or pillars of a website or an app i.e. Programming language, Scripting Language and Markup Language.
Programming language: In a simple language programming languages are set of instructions or code which tells a computer what it needs to do. So basically we provide a logic(loop or ) or instruction to the computer to perform some task to get the desired output from it. When we need to write a CD or burn a CD or when we need to paste something in pen drive these all instruction is given through some software which involves some instructions or set of code and this software communicate to the hardware. Programming languages are high-level languages which convert into machine level language because a computer can only understand machine level language or binary language (0 and 1). So we write the instructions in human-readable form and then we hit compile button to convert this into machine level language which a computer can understand and then the computer perform the task. This conversion is done by the compiler which scans the complete code in one go and if it finds any error it immediately throws all errors. Examples are Java, C, C++, C#. Programming languages are most widely used to make software or drivers.
Markup Languages: Markup languages are completely different from programming languages and scripting languages. Markup languages prepare a structure for the data or prepare the look or design of a page. These are presentational languages and it doesn’t include any kind of logic or algorithm, for example, HTML. HTML is not asking any kind of question to the computer or it’s not comparing things and it’s not asking any logical question. It’s just used to represent a view inside a web browser. It tells the browser how to structure data for a specific page, layout, headings, title, table and all or styling a page in a particular way. So basically it involves formatting of data or it controls the presentation of data. Examples of Markup languages are HTML, CSS or XML. These languages are most widely used to design a website.
From the above definition, we can summarize Programming language, Scripting language, and Markup languages from below images.
- What's the difference between Scripting and Programming Languages?
- Introduction to Scripting Languages
- Top 10 Programming Languages of 2015
- Introduction to Programming Languages
- Comparing Ruby with other programming languages
- Top Programming Languages for Android App Development
- Top 10 Best Embedded Systems Programming Languages
- Programming languages one should learn in 2018
- 5 Most Difficult Programming Languages of the World
- Top 10 Programming Languages of the World – 2019 to begin with…
- Top 5 best Programming Languages for Artificial Intelligence field
- Difference between High Level and Low level languages
- Difference Between Go and Python Programming Language
- What is Cross Site Scripting (XSS) ?
- Cookie Tracking and Stealing using Cross-Site Scripting
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.