Prerequisites – Image Formats
JPEG and Bitmap are two different types of format used to store the images.
The full form JPEG is Joint Photographic Experts Group.And there are two extensions used to store image in this format, these are .jpg and .jpeg . It uses lossy compression algorithm which means in reducing the size of image some data are lost.
A bitmap is an image file format which is used to store the digital images. The word bitmap means map of bits. They are used to create realistic graphics and images. .bmp and .dib extensions are used to store image in this format.
Let’s see the Difference between JPEG and BITMAP:
|1||It stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group..||It stands for Map of Bits.|
|2||It uses lossy compression algorithm.||It uses lossless compression algorithm..|
|3||Some of the image information is lost on decompression.||No image information is lost on decompression.|
|4||They are quite complex .||While, bitmaps are very simplistic.|
|5||It had a few patent debacles in the past.||It is patent free.|
|6||It doesn’t support transparency in the images.||It supports transparency in the images.|
|7||Mostly used in the photography.||It mostly is used in creating realistic graphics and images|
|8||Extensions used are .jpg and .jpeg..||Extensions used are .bmp and .dib.|
- Difference between JPEG and PNG
- Difference between JPEG and GIF
- Difference between SVG and JPEG
- Difference between JPEG and PSD
- Process Of JPEG Data compression
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Time Tracking and Time and Attendance Software
- Difference Between Single and Double Quotes in Shell Script and Linux
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
- What’s difference between header files "stdio.h" and "stdlib.h" ?
- Difference between HTML and HTTP
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.