|A Java applet is a small application which is written in Java and delivered to users in the form of bytecode.||A servlet is a Java programming language class used to extend the capabilities of a server.|
|Applets are executed on client side.||Servlets are executed on server side.|
|Applets are used to provide interactive features to web applications that cannot be provided by HTML alone like capture mouse input etc.||Servlets are the Java counterpart to other dynamic Web content technologies such as PHP and ASP.NET.|
|Life cycle of Applets init(), stop(), paint(), start(), destroy().||Lifecycle of servlets are:- init( ), service( ), and destroy( ).|
|Packages available in Applets are :- import java.applet.*; and import java.awt.*.||Packages available in servlets are:- import javax.servlet.*; and import java.servlet.http.*;|
|Applets use user interface classes like AWT and Swing.||No User interface required.|
|Applets are more prone to risk as it is on the client machine.||Servlets are under the server security.|
|Applets utilize more network bandwidth as it executes on the client machine.||Servlets are executed on the servers and hence require less bandwidth.|
- Creating “hello world” Applet.
// A Hello World Applet
// Save file as HelloWorld.java
// HelloWorld class extends Applet
// Overriding paint() method
- Creating “hello world” Servlet.
// Import required java libraries
// Extend HttpServlet class
// Do required initialization
// Set response content type
// Actual logic goes here.
PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
+ message +
// do nothing.
- HTML | DOM applets Collection
- Java Servlets | Need of Filters
- Introduction to Java Servlets
- Attributes in Servlets | Java
- Difference between “!==” and “==!” in PHP
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference between Where and Group By
- What is the difference between the | and || or operator in php?
- Difference between Servlet and JSP
- Difference between x++ and x=x+1 in Java
- Difference between array() and  in PHP
- Difference between std::quick_exit and std::abort
- What is the difference between ng-if and data-ng-if directives ?
- Difference between bindParam and bindValue in PHP
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.