ASP: ASP stands for Active Server Pages. It is a development framework used for building web pages. ASP was introduced in 1998 by Microsoft as its first server side scripting language. The file extension of ASP pages are .asp and are normally written in VBScript. It is an old but still powerful tool for making dynamic web pages. ASP is a technology (much like PHP) for executing scripts on a web server.
Welcome to GeeksforGeeks!
ASP.NET: ASP.NET was released in 2002 by Microsoft as a successor to ASP. It is also a server-side web framework, open source, which is designed for the generation of dynamic web pages. The file extension of ASP.NET pages are .aspx and are normally written in C# (C sharp). The latest version of ASP.NET is ASP.NET 4.6.
Welcome to GeeksforGeeks!
Difference between ASP and ASP.NET:
|ASP is the interpreted languages.||ASP.NET is the compiled language.|
|ASP uses ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) technology to connect and work with databases.||ASP.NET uses ADO.NET to connect and work with database.|
|ASP is partially object oriented.||ASP.NET is fully object oriented.|
|ASP Pages have the file extension .asp.||ASP.NET Pages have the file extension .aspx.|
|ASP doesn’t have the concept of inheritance.||ASP.NET inherit the class written in code behind.|
|ASP pages use scripting language.||ASP.NET use full fledged programming language.|
|Error handling is very poor in ASP.||Error handling is very good in ASP.NET.|
|ASP has maximum four in-built classes i.e. Request, Response, Session and Application.||ASP.NET has more than 2000 in-built classes.|
- What is the difference between “word-break: break-all” versus “word-wrap: break-word” in CSS ?
- Difference between Bootstrap and AngularJS
- Difference Between HTML and ASP
- What is the Difference between Website and Web Portal
- Difference between Web Scraping and Web Crawling
- Difference between Dropbox and OneDrive
- How to calculate the difference between two dates in PHP?
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- What is the difference between parseInt() and Number()?
- Difference between bindParam and bindValue in PHP
- How ajax works? Difference between angular js and jquery
- What is the difference between the | and || or operator in php?
- What is the difference between public, private, and protected in PHP?
- Difference between require-dev and require in PHP?
- What is the difference between HTTP_HOST and SERVER_NAME in PHP?
- What is the difference between is_a() function and instanceof in PHP?
- What is the difference between display: inline and display: inline-block in CSS?
- Difference between node.js require and ES6 import and export
- What is the difference between echo, print, and print_r in PHP?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.