ASP: ASP stands for Active Server Pages. It is a development framework used for building web pages. ASP was introduced in 1998 by Microsoft as its first server side scripting language. The file extension of ASP pages are .asp and are normally written in VBScript. It is an old but still powerful tool for making dynamic web pages. ASP is a technology (much like PHP) for executing scripts on a web server.
Welcome to GeeksforGeeks!
ASP.NET: ASP.NET was released in 2002 by Microsoft as a successor to ASP. It is also a server-side web framework, open source, which is designed for the generation of dynamic web pages. The file extension of ASP.NET pages are .aspx and are normally written in C# (C sharp). The latest version of ASP.NET is ASP.NET 4.6.
Welcome to GeeksforGeeks!
Difference between ASP and ASP.NET:
|ASP is the interpreted languages.||ASP.NET is the compiled language.|
|ASP uses ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) technology to connect and work with databases.||ASP.NET uses ADO.NET to connect and work with database.|
|ASP is partially object oriented.||ASP.NET is fully object oriented.|
|ASP Pages have the file extension .asp.||ASP.NET Pages have the file extension .aspx.|
|ASP doesn’t have the concept of inheritance.||ASP.NET inherit the class written in code behind.|
|ASP pages use scripting language.||ASP.NET use full fledged programming language.|
|Error handling is very poor in ASP.||Error handling is very good in ASP.NET.|
|ASP has maximum four in-built classes i.e. Request, Response, Session and Application.||ASP.NET has more than 2000 in-built classes.|
- What is the difference between (NaN != NaN) & (NaN !== NaN)?
- Difference between “!==” and “==!” in PHP
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between ReactJS and Vue.js
- Difference between npm and yarn
- Difference Between HTML and ASP
- Difference between array() and  in PHP
- Difference between "." and "#" selector in CSS
- What is the difference between Perl and PHP ?
- What is the difference between the | and || or operator in php?
- Difference Between Node.js and Asp.net
- What is the difference between CSS and SCSS ?
- What is the difference between offsetHeight and clientHeight ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.