Data Storage and its Sorts
Data Storage is a key segment of computerized gadgets, as buyers and organizations have come to depend on it to save data going from individual information to business-basic data. It is used to capture and retain digital data on storage devices.
Types of Data Storage:
- Network Attached Storage Device: The network-attached storage device permits the storage and recovery of data from a centralized location by approved network users. These devices are adaptable and versatile. NAS associates with a wireless router, making it simple for disseminated workplaces to access documents from any device associated with the network.
- Cloud storage: Cloud storage is a storage option that utilizes remote servers and is accessible from any computer with Internet access. It is kept up, worked and overseen by a cloud storage service provider on storage servers that are based on virtualization strategies. Examples of cloud storage providers are Google Drive, iCloud, Citrix ShareFile, ownCloud, Dropbox, Amazon Cloud Drive, MediaFire, etc.
- Direct Attached Storage: Direct-attached storage is storage associated with a PC. It is associated with one computer and not accessible to other computers. DAS can furnish clients with preferable execution over networked storage in light of the fact that the server does not need to cross a system to peruse and compose information. Hard drive or USB flash drive is an example of direct-attached storage.
- Storage Area Network: The storage area network is a network-based storage system. SAN systems connect to the network utilizing high-speed interfaces enabling improved execution and the capacity to interface numerous servers to a centralized disk storage store. Storage area networks are highly scalable because capacity can be added as needed.
- Object storage: Object storage is a technique for organizing data into distinct components called objects that are kept with specific identifiers and metadata. It is very scalable. Each object is given a distinct address in this type, and data may be retrieved by using that address as a reference. It is made for large-scale, unstructured data storage, including multimedia files, backups, and archives. Distributed storage systems and cloud storage platforms is an example of Object storage.
- Magnetic tape : Magnetic tape is used as a medium for data storage in a process known as tape storage. Due to its affordability, toughness, and high quality, it has been a preferred option for long-term archival and backup storage. It is commonly used in industries like healthcare, media, and government sectors, where compliance and preservation of data are critical.
Some Interesting Facts:
- Researchers from the Uni of Michigan and the Uni of Illinois conducted a study whereby they dropped USB sticks containing HTML files that have img tags embedded in a nearby car park. They found that 48% of the flash drives were picked up and connected them to a PC. 68% of users neglected to take any safety precautions or scans.
- The highest potential USB flash drive 3.0 today is 2 TB – released by Kingston, and known as the Data Traveler Ultimate GT (generation terabyte).
- Trek Technology and IBM were the first to begin selling USB flash drives 1.0 and, later, 1.1, in 2000.
- Configuring, testing, and monitoring of system are required in Network storage devices.
- Network storage devices are more complex to configure and manage.
- Direct attached storage is unprotected to malicious attacks.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Please Login to comment...