Given two coordinates (x, y) and (a, b). Find if it is possible to reach (x, y) from (a, b).
Only possible moves from any coordinate (i, j) are
- (i-j, j)
- (i, i-j)
- (i+j, j)
- (i, i+j)
Given x, y, a, b can be negative.
Input : (x, y) = (1, 1) and (a, b) = (2, 3). Output : Yes. (1, 1) -> (2, 1) -> (2, 3). Input : (x, y) = (2, 1) and (a, b) = (2, 3). Output : Yes. Input : (x, y) = (35, 15) and (a, b) = (20, 25). Output : Yes. (35, 15) -> (20, 15) -> (5, 15) -> (5, 10) -> (5, 5) -> (10, 5) -> (15, 5) -> (20, 5) -> (20, 25)
If we take a closer look at the problem, we can notice that the moves are similar steps of Euclidean algorithm for finding GCD. So, it is only possible to reach coordinate (a, b) from (x, y) if GCD of x, y is equal to GCD of a, b. Otherwise, it is not possible.
Let GCD of (x, y) be gcd. From (x, y), we can reach (gcd, gcd) and from this point, we can reach to (a, b) if and only if GCD of ‘a’ and ‘b’ is also gcd.
Below is the implementation of this approach:
This article is contributed by Anuj Chauhan(anuj0503). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Number of possible Triangles in a Cartesian coordinate system
- Finding Quadrant of a Coordinate with respect to a Circle
- Check if a king can move a valid move or not when N nights are there in a modified chessboard
- Check if it is possible to move from (a, 0) to (b, 0) with given jumps
- Check if it is possible to move from (0, 0) to (X, Y) in exactly K steps
- Check if it is possible to move from (0, 0) to (x, y) in N steps
- Count minimum steps to get the given desired array
- Number of cells a queen can move with obstacles on the chessborad
- Count the total number of squares that can be visited by Bishop in one move
- Minimum number of operations to move all uppercase characters before all lower case characters
- Move matrix elements in given direction and add elements with same value
- Check n^2 - m^2 is prime or not
- Check divisibility by 7
- Check whether it is possible to convert A into B
- Check whether a given number is even or odd
Improved By : nitin mittal