Selenium is a powerful tool for controlling web browser through program. It is functional for all browsers, works on all major OS and its scripts are written in various languages i.e Python, Java, C# etc, we will be working with Python.
Mastering Selenium will help you automate your day to day tasks like controlling your tweets, Whatsapp texting and even just googling without actually opening a browser in just 15-30 lines of python code. The limits of automation is endless with selenium.
1.1 Selenium Bindings in Python
Selenium Python bindings provide a convenient API to access Selenium Web Driver like Firefox,Chrome,etc.
Pip install Selenium
1.2 Web Drivers
Selenium requires a web driver to interface with the chosen browser.Web drivers is a package to interact with web browser. It interacts with the web browser or a remote web server through a wire protocol which is common to all. You can check out and install the web drivers of your browser choice.
Chrome: https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/chromedriver/downloads Firefox: https://github.com/mozilla/geckodriver/releases Safari: https://webkit.org/blog/6900/webdriver-support-in-safari-10/
Dissecting the code
The above script is for logging into twitter and searching for geeks for geeks handle.
So let’s see how it works:
1. Opening the browser
2. Creating a browser instance and using the using the .get function to connect the website.
3. Finding the element this can be anything finding the input box or a button and using the selenium function like click(), send_keys() etc to interact with the element.
4. Closing the browser
As of now you must have realized this automation script works in an iterative manner of finding an element and interacting with it. There are various ways of finding an element in the web page, you just right click and inspect element and copy element either by name, css selector or xpath.
Well that’s basically it using this you can create a custom automated script for every single website or a universal one for all your social media which automates all your actions.
There is no limit to automation and the above is just an example to get you guys started.So happy coding !
Related Post :
Whatsapp using Python!
This article is contributed by Pradhvan Bisht. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Selenium Python Tricks
- Project Idea | Hand-Web Browser
- Future of home automation
- Mouse and keyboard automation using Python
- Robotics Process Automation - An Introduction
- Introduction to Apache Maven | A build automation tool for Java projects
- Gradle Build Tool I Modern Open Source Build Automation
- Python | Check whether given key already exists in a dictionary
- Multiplication of two polynomials using Linked list
- Difference Between Daemon Threads and User Threads In Java
- Format Specifiers in Java
- Remove all occurrences of an element from Array in Java
- Count and Print the alphabets having ASCII value in the range [l, r]
- Hide scroll bar, but while still being able to scroll using CSS