Selenium Webdriver is a powerful tool for controlling web browser through program. It is functional for all browsers, works on all major OS and its scripts are written in various languages i.e Python, Java, C#, etc. Selenium Webdriver is a primary automation tool used by developers all around the world.
This article revolves around Major Applications of Selenium WebDriver. Mastering Selenium will help you automate your day to day tasks like controlling your tweets, Whatsapp texting and even just googling without actually opening a browser in just 15-30 lines of python code.
Applications and Uses of Selenium Webdriver
Selenium WebDriver is used to automate web application testing to verify that it works as expected. It supports many browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari. However, using the Selenium WebDriver, we can automate testing for web applications only.
- Open Source and Portable – Selenium is an open source and portable Web testing Framework.
- Combination of tool and DSL – Selenium is combination of tools and DSL (Domain Specific Language) in order to carry out various types of tests.
- Easier to understand and implement – Selenium commands are categorized in terms of different classes which make it easier to understand and implement.
- Less burden and stress for testers – As mentioned above, the amount of time required to do testing repeated test scenarios on each and every new build is reduced to zero, almost. Hence, the burden of tester gets reduced.
- Cost reduction for the Business Clients – The Business needs to pay the testers their salary, which is saved using automation testing tool. The automation not only saves time but gets cost benefits too, to the business.
- Increased test coverage – With the uses of Selenium, testing time gets reduced and hence the tester can do more testing on other test scenarios at the same time.
- Reduce test execution time – Selenium supports parallel test execution that reduce the time taken in executing parallel tests.
- Lesser resources required – Selenium requires lesser resources when compared to its competitors like UFT, RFT, etc.
- Supports Multiple Operating Systems – Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris.
- Supports Multiple Browsers – Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, Opera, Safari, etc.
- Parallel Test Execution – It also supports parallel test execution which reduces time and increases the efficiency of tests.
- A flexible language – Once the test cases are prepared, they can be executed on any operating system like Linux, Macintosh, etc.
- No installation Required – Selenium web driver does not require server installation, test scripts interact directly with the browser.
Also Check –
- Limitations of Selenium Webdriver
- Features of Selenium WebDriver
- Assertion in Selenium WebDriver using TestNg
- Find Web Elements using Selenium WebDriver
- Limitations of Selenium
- Components of Selenium
- Difference between Selenium and QTP
- Python | Designing GUI applications Using PyQt
- System tray applications using PyQt5
- Python Language advantages and applications
- Python String index() and its applications
- How to take screenshot using Selenium in Python ?
- Exceptions - Selenium Python
- Selenium Python Tutorial
- Selenium Python Basics
- How to get current_url using Selenium in Python?
- Difference between Cheerio and Selenium
- Waits in Selenium Python
- Difference between Puppeteer and Selenium
- Selenium Python Tricks
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.