Matrix, The Social Network, WarGames, Office Space, Antitrust, Silicon Valley, Jobs, Hackers
You might have heard and probably watched all the above movies’, especially if you are a student of engineering college but why I am listing out all the above movies’ names…can you guess?? . If you haven’t heard these movies’ names or didn’t catch my point then just open a new tab in your system or phone and search about all these movies. You guessed it right… all the above movies have a common thing and that is programming or hacking, programmer or hacker. Now we want to ask a few questions…how many of you have taken some positive lessons from these movies, get inspired and tried to spend the countless night doing coding or inventing something new? We bet that most of the students haven’t tried it or if they have tried then just for a short time.
College Life is awsome for engineering students and they get a lot of advice from others to do this and do that when they enter in a college, some are good and some are bad. If you are an engineering student and reading this blog we request you to search for the unemployment rate of engineers in India or the placement rate of engineers. Please try to read the article 80% Engineers Are Unemployed
Yes, this is the harsh truth that Lakhs of engineers are unemployed and either they are depressed or trying to sustain their life anyhow from other resources. For most of the students, the reason is very simple and that is… mistakes they have made during their college period. We want you to carefully read the below points, keep your eyes open and see the truth so that you don’t repeat the same mistake and you put your efforts to secure your career and future.
1. Focusing Too Much on CGPA: CGPA is important in engineering we all agree but focusing too much on CGPA and ignoring the rest of the skill is not going to help a student in getting a job. When a student starts focusing only getting good grades in engineering their overall development lack somewhere and they face rejection in jobs and interviews when they apply for it. Always remember your practical knowledge is much more important than theoretical knowledge for companies.
Getting good grades can help you to get the interview calls but there is no guarantee of getting a job. You need to become a complete package for companies and in that case, your overall development is very important. There are so many students who are able to secure a good job even they have low grades and there are so many students who are a topper but unemployed. We are not telling you to completely ignore the grades, maintain a decent grade during your semester exams so you don’t face any problem when a company sets eligibility criteria for your grades.
2. Not Developing Communication Skills: A Research Article published by Aspiring Minds reveals this fact that engineers who have good communication skill they have better employment, higher wages, and better growth. Good communication skill is very important to stay in the job market. People who are better in delivering their ideas, visionaries effectively and able to communicate they are more successful and in demand for jobs in the market.
Expressing yourself and interaction with someone is very important and this is the common and important advice to all the students to improve their communication skills during their college period by giving a presentation, talking to a lot of people, making videos, participating in a group discussion or extra curriculum activities.
3. Rote Learning and Last Night Study: There are so many students who get advice during their college period that last night studies or just memorizing few questions are helpful to get good grades and that’s the blunder mistake students can do ever. You might get decent grades using this technique but that won’t help you in your future from the job perspective.
We want to give a clear picture to those students that technology is reaching at Artificial Intelligence, Big data Analytics, Machine Learning and a lot more so developing this habit won’t work when you need to work in a real-time environment on these cutting edge technologies. So make a habit of understanding the basics and fundamentals instead of rote learning and last night study. The more you understand, the less you have to remember.
4. Not Doing Internship and Projects: Maximum students get rejected in job interviews due to the lack of practical skills. Every company is looking for candidates who have experience in working real-time environments and have exposure for the same or at least have done some projects by themselves. Companies have basically three bars to hire a candidate…
- What do you know?
- How well you know?
- What will the company gain?
Your grades fulfill the first requirement but your practical skills, your technical knowledge or high-end skills reveals how well you know something and what’s the benefit they will get if they hire you. You can check the importance of internship from the link Why Internships are Important for Engineering Students or Freshers?. A lot of students do mistakes which they really need to avoid downloading the project from the internet or getting it from other resources. It’s painful for them to make projects but giving yourself a little bit of pain can help you to land up in a job later. So we highly recommend students to apply for internships as much as they can, explore the industries, check what skills or technologies they need to develop and also complete projects by themselves because hands-on-exposure helps a lot in getting a job.
5. Not Using Internet Resources Effectively: Internet is one of the big sources to learn something valuable and enhance the skills. Information is overloaded there and if a student wants to learn they can get a lot of useful materials over there and in that case, they need less help from seniors or professors as well. A lot of courses, resources and valuable knowledge are available there. Search for some online educational sites, watch youtube video tutorials, learn some new technologies and take advantage of free resources available on the internet. Also, use social media effectively to join some group or community and take help from there.
Life is a roller coaster ride and it’s unpredictable. No one excelled great in life without failures. The master has failed more times than the beginner has tried. So, it doesn’t matter how many times you see failure, the important thing is how many times you pick yourself up and always try to give your best.
- 10 mistakes people tend to do in an Interview
- Top 5 Common Mistakes in Technical On-site Interviews
- Things every final year student should do to get a job in their dream company
- Man In The Middle Attack | Avoid Falling Victim to MITM
- Is it okay to be an Average Student?
- Why Internships are Important for Engineering Students or Freshers?
- How to Prepare for Amazon Software Development Engineering Interview?
- What is GitHub Student Developer Pack and How to Get it?
- 7 Common Programming Mistakes That Every Beginner Must Avoid
- Social Engineering - The Art of Virtual Exploitation
- How to Become a Microsoft Student Partner (MSP)?
- How to Become a Microsoft Student Partner (MSP)?
- Data Visualization Using Chartjs and Django
- Top 10 Projects For Beginners To Practice HTML and CSS Skills
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.