It’s Summertime and the placement season is in full swing! There are many product based companies that recruit during this time like Adobe, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, etc. However, most of the interviews for technical roles in these companies are focused on measuring the Data Structures and Algorithms knowledge of the candidates.
So the question arises:
Why do Product Based Companies place so much emphasis on Data Structures and Algorithms?
Software Product Based Companies normally create products that are related to software. So it stands to reason that they require quality Software Developers to handle the development process for the software. The pay-scale of Software Developers has increased a lot in recent times globally. According to the report by glassdoor, the average base pay of Software Developers in India is found to be around 10 Lakhs per annum. The average base of software developer ranges from Rs. 365, 000 to Rs 1, 709, 000 per year. (With Product Based Companies occupying the higher end of the spectrum)
However, there is an acute shortage of well-qualified Software developers in India. According to the National Employability Report by Aspiring Minds, only 3.84% of engineers are employable in software-related jobs at startups. That is where Data Structures and Algorithms come in. They are so important in Product Based Companies interviews as they are the hallmark of any good Software Developer.
In addition to that, there are multiple reasons why Product Based Companies place so much emphasis on Data Structures and Algorithms as stated below:
- Data Structures and Algorithms demonstrate the problem-solving ability of a candidate. There is no room to craft elaborate stories and this means that either the candidate can solve the problem or they can’t.
- Questions based on Data Structures and Algorithms can be scaled up or down according to the knowledge level of the candidate. This means that a variety of candidates can be tested using roughly the same problems.
- Data Structures and Algorithms are used to test the analytical skills of the candidates as they are a useful tool to pick out the underlying algorithms in real-world problems and solve them efficiently.
- Data Structures and Algorithms are the fundamentals of Software Development. They remain the same no matter what new technology is used and that puts the focus on the problem rather than the technology in the interview process.
Learning Data Structures and Algorithms
Now that we have established that Data Structures and Algorithms are important for interviews in Product Based Companies, let’s focus on learning them.
Bad programmers worry about the code. Good programmers worry about data structures and their relationships.
While learning Data Structures and Algorithms, it is best to start small with simpler topics and then move on to more and more complex topics. Some of the basic data structures are Arrays, Linked Lists, Stacks, Queues, etc. while some of the basic algorithms are Sorting, Searching, etc.
Some of the major problems that can appear while learning Data Structures and Algorithms are:
- Lack of guidance
There is no clear guidance while learning Data Structures and Algorithms. There are numerous topics within these umbrella terms with no specific guidelines about which topics would be more useful for different Product Based Companies. This situation can be quite confusing, especially for a beginner.
- No idea from where to start learning
Even if the necessary topics in Data Structures and Algorithms are known, the sheer amount of them leads to a lot of confusion. Most beginners have no idea from where to start learning or even what chronological order to follow while learning.
In order to solve the above problems, we at GeeksforGeeks have designed a number of online courses to learn Data Structures and Algorithms at affordable prices. One of the latest course created by us is named Placement 100. The prefix “100” in the name of the course indicates that this course aims to get you 100% placement ready. This course covers Data Structures and Algorithms along with other subjects in order to completely prepare you for placements in product based companies. Placement 100 is a 6 months program comprising of an online course, assessment exam and placement assistance for top performers.
To learn more about it, read on . . .
Placement 100 Course
Placement 100 is an online course that covers all the topics required to prepare for placements. The course includes theory & lecture videos for improvised learning supported by tracks & contests for practice. It comes with a first-in-industry feature: Doubt Assistance to help you if you are stuck. The course will be followed by mock tests which will prepare you for the assessment exam. The assessment exam will be based on the whole course and will be similar to screening exams conducted by most companies. The top performers in the assessment exam will be prioritized in the placement program by GeeksforGeeks. The program also includes Mock Interviews after the assessment exam for the selected students and referrals for the top performers to direct interview in some companies.
The course is divided into three phases as explained below:
- Phase I: The first phase consists of entire content along with premium video lectures and other resources to learn programming basics, OOPs, Data Structures, Algorithms, CS Fundamentals – OS, DBMS, Networking, OOAD.
- Phase II: The second phase contains tutorials on Aptitude – Logical reasoning, Verbal Ability, and Quantitative Reasoning. This phase will also cover, guidelines for building a resume, improving communication skills and other soft skills of the candidate.
- Phase III: The last phase will cover three Mock-Tests followed by an Assessment Test. Based on the performance in the Assesment test, top performers will be offered Mock Interviews and will be referred to companies for interview.
Placement 100 Features
–> Theory content designed by our team of experts.
–> Premium lecture videos by industry experts.
–> Tracks consisting of MCQs and programming questions.
–> Weekly contests based on tracks.
- Ask doubts:
–> Discussion Forum for clearing doubts.
–> Weekly doubt sessions for doubt assistance.
–> Assessment exam based on company’s screening exam pattern
–> Mock Tests to prepare for the assessment exam
- Get Placed:
–> All students can apply to job openings after the course completion.
–> Top performers in the assessment exam will be shortlisted on priority.
- Mock Interviews:
–> Similar to interview in top companies.
–> Only for students shortlisted after the assessment exam.
- Certificate upon Course Completion
This course is priced at INR 14, 999 but it is available at an Early Bird Offer price of INR 7, 499.
You are just a click away to begin the journey to your Dream Job. Register now for the Placement100 course by clicking on the button below.
DSA Self Paced Course
In case you wish to focus exclusively on Data Structures and Algorithms, our latest online course to learn Data Structures and Algorithms is named DSA Self Paced Course, which covers everything about Data Structures and Algorithms from the Basic level to Advanced level. It offers a wealth of programming challenges that you may face at your next job interview. The course focuses mainly on Data Structure & Algorithms as it the key to selection in top product based companies.
Some of the Key Features of the Course are:
- Well organized tutorials on Data-Structures and Algorithms prepared by the GeeksforGeeks Team.
- Premium video lectures by Mr. Sandeep Jain, Founder, and C.E.O of GeeksforGeeks.
- Dedicated doubt solving team to assist you.
- Weekly Assessment Tests with Video Solutions.
- Performance-Based Certificate.
- Internship Opportunities at GeeksforGeeks.
The course is available in two versions:
DSA Self Paced With Doubt Assistance:
The price of the self-paced online DSA course with doubt assistance is INR 3, 999. Registration of the Course is still open and the seats are filling fast! Hurry up and click here to grab yours!
DSA Self Paced Without Doubt Assistance
The price of the self-paced online DSA course without doubt assistance is INR 2, 499. Registration of the Course is still open and the seats are filling fast! Hurry up and click here to grab yours!
- Why Data Structures and Algorithms are "Must Have" for Developers and Where to learn them : Answered
- Must Do Coding Questions for Companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Adobe, ...
- How can one become good at Data structures and Algorithms easily?
- Learn Data Structures and Algorithms for your Dream Job with this online Course
- Data Structures and Algorithms Online Courses : Free and Paid
- Design data structures and algorithms for in-memory file system
- Introduction to Data Structures | 10 most commonly used Data Structures
- Data Structures | Misc | Question 5
- Difference between Stack and Queue Data Structures
- Design the Data Structures(classes and objects)for a generic deck of cards
- Must Do Questions for Companies like TCS, CTS, HCL, IBM …
- [TopTalent.in] Exclusive Interview with Ravi Kiran from BITS, Pilani who got placed in Google, Microsoft and Facebook
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 155 (For Data Scientist)
- [TopTalent.in] Interview with Sujeet Gholap, placed in Microsoft, Google, Samsung, Goldman Sachs & Tower Research
- Guide for Non-CS students to get placed in Software companies
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.