VMware Interview Experience for MTS (On-Campus)
VMware Interview Experience for MTS (Member of Technical Staff)
Eligibility: Circuital Branches, CGPA 7 and above.
Hey geek! It's time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!
Online Test: On the HirePro platform
- 107 minutes(Sectional Timing for each section)
- Technical MCQs (Difficult) and 10 Aptitude MCQs.
- Coding question – 30 mins very easy) – It was mix of matrix manipulation and prime factorization
There was a sectional cut-off, so do well in aptitude too.
15 people were shortlisted for the interviews
Round 1(Technical Interview 1 – 65 minutes): The interviewers were MTS 3 at VMware. They were quite friendly and we had a nice conversation before jumping into coding about my internship project. Then hacker rank code pair link was shared and I was asked to code these two questions:
For the first, I gave both the mathematical approach and XOR approach.
The interviewer did not have an idea of XOR approach and I had to explain to him the logic of how it works.
- He was quite impressed. then I coded it and he gave some edge cases all of which passed. Then we moved on to the 2nd question with constant space complexity for which I came up with an approach of sorting and finding but he asked if we can further optimize it without sorting. He gave me a hint and then we used the approach basic c mapping.
- He asked to code it and I did the same. Even this passed all the cases he gave. Then we had a discussion on oops concepts like inheritance and virtual functions. He then asked if I have any questions.
7/15 people moved to next round
Round 2(Technical Interview 2 – 50 minutes): It was a design round and also there were few managerial questions in between.
- I was asked to design a system for scheduling jobs and machines. He told me to concentrate on scaling and efficient scheduling so that the machine never goes idle with the jobs waiting to get executed.
- There was a detailed discussion on what data structures will be involved. It was a mix of DS and OS concept grilling. I was also asked to explain how we merge binary search trees into a single binary search tree in O(m+n).
- I was asked what is my favorite data structure and why? What is my favorite subject and why? How do I explain data structure definition to a layman? Why do you want to work at VMware? At last, he appreciated how I think everything in broad-spectrum and I was quite happy with that feedback.
4/7 moved to the next round ( 2 from CSE and 2 from my branch(non-CSE ))
Round 3(HR Discussion – 10 minutes):
- Next 5-year plan(vision)
- JEE Rank & Marks
- About family background
- Why (college name), Why (branch name), Why into software?
- Questions from PPT( EPIC2 Principles)
- Why VMware
- My weaknesses
- Feedback regarding the overall process
Result: 2 from CSE were selected
I was rejected. Though I am not sure what the reason was I suspect it’s my branch and JEE rank because all the interviewers looked impressed and I thought I would definitely be selected. I felt terrible. I am posting this article for my future self. Nevertheless, let’s continue hustling!!