Sameer asks his friend Kartik a question to test his intelligence.
Sameer – You have been given a right-angled triangle ABC, right-angled at B. The hypotenuse length is 10m and the altitude to the hypotenuse from B is 6m.
Kartik – Go on.
Sameer – Tell me the area of the triangle ABC.
Kartik – 30 sq. Metres.
Sameer – I knew you would say this, but you’re wrong my friend. Try some geometry.
Kartik needs your help to answer this question.
Answer : Such a triangle can never exist
Solution : At first it would seem that 30 sq. Metres is the correct answer, using the formula
A triangle with given dimensions can never exist. The maximum altitude to the hypotenuse of a triangle can be half of the length of the hypotenuse. (See pic)
This puzzle is contributed by Feroz Baig. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 5 | (Finding the Injection for Anesthesia)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)