Postfix: An expression is called the postfix expression if the operator appears in the expression after the operands. Simply of the form (operand1 operand2 operator).
Example : AB+CD-* (Infix : (A+B) * (C-D) )
Prefix : An expression is called the prefix expression if the operator appears in the expression before the operands. Simply of the form (operator operand1 operand2).
Example : *+AB-CD (Infix : (A+B) * (C-D) )
Given a Postfix expression, convert it into a Prefix expression.
Conversion of Postfix expression directly to Prefix without going through the process of converting them first to Infix and then to Prefix is much better in terms of computation and better understanding the expression (Computers evaluate using Postfix expression).
Input : Postfix : AB+CD-* Output : Prefix : *+AB-CD Explanation : Postfix to Infix : (A+B) * (C-D) Infix to Prefix : *+AB-CD Input : Postfix : ABC/-AK/L-* Output : Prefix : *-A/BC-/AKL Explanation : Postfix to Infix : ((A-(B/C))*((A/K)-L)) Infix to Prefix : *-A/BC-/AKL
Algorithm for Postfix to Prefix:
- Read the Postfix expression from left to right
- If the symbol is an operand, then push it onto the Stack
- If the symbol is an operator, then pop two operands from the Stack
Create a string by concatenating the two operands and the operator before them.
string = operator + operand2 + operand1
And push the resultant string back to Stack
- Repeat the above steps until end of Prefix expression.
Prefix : *-A/BC-/AKL
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Prefix to Postfix Conversion
- Prefix to Infix Conversion
- Infix to Prefix conversion using two stacks
- Postfix to Infix
- Stack | Set 2 (Infix to Postfix)
- Stack | Set 4 (Evaluation of Postfix Expression)
- Infix to Postfix using different Precedence Values for In-Stack and Out-Stack
- Program for Binary To Decimal Conversion
- Program for Decimal to Binary Conversion
- Program for decimal to hexadecimal conversion
- Print all substring of a number without any conversion
- Program for Celsius To Fahrenheit conversion
- Decimal to binary conversion without using arithmetic operators
- Decimal to octal conversion with minimum use of arithmetic operators
- Prefix Product Array
- Prefix Sum of Matrix (Or 2D Array)
- Evaluation of Prefix Expressions
- Longest prefix which is also suffix
- Convert Infix To Prefix Notation
- Strings from an array which are not prefix of any other string
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.