Infix : An expression is called the Infix expression if the operator appears in between the operands in the expression. Simply of the form (operand1 operator operand2).
Example : (A+B) * (C-D)
Prefix : An expression is called the prefix expression if the operator appears in the expression before the operands. Simply of the form (operator operand1 operand2).
Example : *+AB-CD (Infix : (A+B) * (C-D) )
Given a Prefix expression, convert it into a Infix expression.
Computers usually does the computation in either prefix or postfix (usually postfix). But for humans, its easier to understand an Infix expression rather than a prefix. Hence conversion is need for human understanding.
Input : Prefix : *+AB-CD Output : Infix : ((A+B)*(C-D)) Input : Prefix : *-A/BC-/AKL Output : Infix : ((A-(B/C))*((A/K)-L))
Algorithm for Prefix to Infix:
- Read the Prefix expression in reverse order (from right to left)
- If the symbol is an operand, then push it onto the Stack
- If the symbol is an operator, then pop two operands from the Stack
Create a string by concatenating the two operands and the operator between them.
string = (operand1 + operator + operand2)
And push the resultant string back to Stack
- Repeat the above steps until end of Prefix expression.
Infix : ((A-(B/C))*((A/K)-L))
- Infix to Prefix conversion using two stacks
- Convert Infix To Prefix Notation
- Postfix to Prefix Conversion
- Prefix to Postfix Conversion
- Postfix to Infix
- Stack | Set 2 (Infix to Postfix)
- Infix to Postfix using different Precedence Values for In-Stack and Out-Stack
- Decimal to octal conversion with minimum use of arithmetic operators
- Longest prefix which is also suffix
- Evaluation of Prefix Expressions
- Strings from an array which are not prefix of any other string
- Longest Common Prefix using Sorting
- String from prefix and suffix of given two strings
- Maximum occurrence of prefix in the Array
- Longest Common Prefix using Trie
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.