Electronic and Digital systems may use a variety of different number systems, (e.g. Decimal, Hexadecimal, Octal, Binary).
A number N in base or radix b can be written as:
(N)b = dn-1 dn-2 — — — — d1 d0 . d-1 d-2 — — — — d-m
In the above, dn-1 to d0 is integer part, then follows a radix point, and then d-1 to d-m is fractional part.
dn-1 = Most significant bit (MSB)
d-m = Least significant bit (LSB)
How to convert a number from one base to another?
Follow the example illustrations:
1. Decimal to Binary
Note: Keep multiplying the fractional part with 2 until decimal part 0.00 is obtained.
(0.25)10 = (0.01)2
Answer: (10.25)10 = (1010.01)2
2. Binary to Decimal
1×23 + 0x22 + 1×21+ 0x20 + 0x2 -1 + 1×2 -2 = 8+0+2+0+0+0.25 = 10.25
(1010.01)2 = (10.25)10
3. Decimal to Octal
(10)10 = (12)8
0.25 x 8 = 2.00
Note: Keep multiplying the fractional part with 8 until decimal part .00 is obtained.
(.25)10 = (.2)8
Answer: (10.25)10 = (12.2)8
4. Octal to Decimal
1 x 81 + 2 x 80 +2 x 8-1 = 8+2+0.25 = 10.25
(12.2)8 = (10.25)10
5. Hexadecimal and Binary
To convert from Hexadecimal to Binary, write the 4-bit binary equivalent of hexadecimal.
(3A)16 = (00111010)2
To convert from Binary to Hexadecimal, group the bits in groups of 4 and write the hex for the 4-bit binary. Add 0's to adjust the groups.
(001111011011 )2 = (3DB)16
This article is contributed by Kriti Kushwaha.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Given a number N in decimal base, find number of its digits in any base (base b)
- Different ways for Integer to String Conversions In Java
- Find the Nth digit from right in base B of the given number in Decimal base
- Given a number N in decimal base, find the sum of digits in any base B
- C++ program to find all numbers less than n, which are palindromic in base 10 and base 2.
- Add two integers of different base and represent sum in smaller base of the two
- Conversion of Binary number to Base 4 system
- Ternary number system or Base 3 numbers
- Check if the number is even or odd whose digits and base (radix) is given
- Convert a number into negative base representation
- Check if a given number can be represented in given a no. of digits in any base
- Pandigital number in a given base
- Check if a number N starts with 1 in b-base
- Check if a number is power of k using base changing method
- Check if a number is in given base or not
- Complement of a number with any base b
- Check whether a number has consecutive 0's in the given base or not
- Number of trailing zeroes in base B representation of N!
- Check if a N base number is Even or Odd
- Find the length of factorial of a number in any given base