Localization Testing is a type of software testing that is performed to verify the quality of a product for a specific culture or locale. Localization testing is performed only on the local version of the product.
Localization testing ensures that the application is capable enough to be used in that specific region. It tests the user interface, language vocabulary, currency format, date & time format for that specific country only.
For example, QQ is a social media platform specifically designed for the chinese people. It supports language chinese and every other aspects in a specific way.
Features of Localization Testing:
- Localized user interface:
It tests the user interface is affected by local. In order it can be said that the user interface is designed in such a way that it is comfortable for specific people.
- Localized content:
Different contents that are in-built in the application are according to the local culture and the test is performed to check whether it is comfortable for locals.
- Specific Language:
Test is performed to check the language supported by the application in order to know the software’s compatibility with the language of the specific region.
- Hardware Compatibility:
Hardware compatibility test is performed to test the compatibility of the software and the hardware toward the specific region.
Localization Testing Process:
- Setup the test environment:
First of all testing environment is set up in order to perform a good quality testing process. This helps in getting the good quality software testing process.
- Choose the product:
Choose the product for which the localization testing is going to be performed. This leads to the testing being the product oriented.
- Generate Script:
The script according to the local and the specific culture the script is generated. For example, for a US specific application language is set to the English.
Now the inbuilt attribute and the local attributes are compared to check the software’s quality. For example, the user interface or language is compared with specific region’s correspondence.
- Analysis and Result:
After the comparison testing process is analysed whether it was successful or not. Also the result is submitted to the developing team regarding different aspects of the application.
Localization Testing Life Cycle:
Advantages of Localization Testing:
- Localization testing reduces the overall testing cost.
- Localization testing reduces the overall support cost.
- It helps in reducing the time for testing.
- Localization testing has more flexibility and scalability.
Disadvantages of Localization Testing:
- Localization testing requires a local expert to perform it.
- It is expensive to have the local translator.
- There might be schedule challenges for the tester.
- Difference between Globalization and Localization Testing
- Software Engineering | Differences between Sanity Testing and Smoke Testing
- Difference between System Integration Testing (SIT) and User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- Software Engineering | Comparison between Regression Testing and Re-Testing
- Difference between Unit Testing and System Testing
- Differences between White Box Testing and Gray Box Testing
- Difference between Active Testing and Passive Testing
- Difference between Frontend Testing and Backend Testing
- Difference between Stress Testing and Volume Testing
- Difference between Agile Testing and Waterfall Testing
- Difference between Load Testing and Stress Testing
- Differences between Black Box Testing vs White Box Testing
- Difference between Volume Testing and Load Testing
- Difference between Scrum Testing and V-Model Testing
- Difference between System Testing and Acceptance Testing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.