Front End and Back End: Frontend and Backend are two most popular terms used in web development. These terms are very crucial for web development but are quite different from each other. Each side needs to communicate and operate effectively with the other as a single unit to improve the website’s functionality.
Front end Languages: The front end portion is built by using some languages which are discussed below:
- HTML: HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is used to design the front end portion of web pages using markup language. HTML is the combination of Hypertext and Markup language. Hypertext defines the link between the web pages. The markup language is used to define the text documentation within tag which defines the structure of web pages.
- CSS: Cascading Style Sheets fondly referred to as CSS is a simply designed language intended to simplify the process of making web pages presentable. CSS allows you to apply styles to web pages. More importantly, CSS enables you to do this independent of the HTML that makes up each web page.
Front End Frameworks and Libraries:
- SASS: It is the most reliable, mature and robust CSS extension language. It is used to extend the functionality of an existing CSS of a site including everything from variables, inheritance, and nesting with ease.
- Some other libraries and frameworks are: Semantic-UI, Foundation, Materialize, Backbone.js, Express.js, Ember.js etc.
Backend Development: Backend is server side of the website. It stores and arranges data, and also makes sure everything on the client-side of the website works fine. It is the part of the website that you cannot see and interact with. It is the portion of software that does not come in direct contact with the users. The parts and characteristics developed by backend designers are indirectly accessed by users through a front-end application. Activities, like writing APIs, creating libraries, and working with system components without user interfaces or even systems of scientific programming, are also included in the backend.
Back end Languages: The back end portion is built by using some languages which are discussed below:
- PHP: PHP is a server-side scripting language designed specifically for web development. Since PHP code executed on the server side so it is called server-side scripting language.
- C++: It is a general purpose programming language and widely used now a days for competitive programming. It is also used as backend language.
- Java: Java is one of the most popular and widely used programming language and platform. It is highly scalable. Java components are easily available.
- Python:Python is a programming language that lets you work quickly and integrate systems more efficiently.
Back End Frameworks:
- The list of back end frameworks are: Express, Django, Rails, Laravel, Spring, etc.
- The other back end program/scripting languages are: C#, Ruby, REST, GO etc.
Difference between Frontend and Backend: Frontend and backend development are quite different from each other, but still, they are two aspects of the same situation. The frontend is what users see and interact with and backend is how everything works.
- Frontend is the part of the website users can see and interact with such as the graphical user interface (GUI) and the command line including the design, navigating menus, texts, images, videos, etc. Backend, on the contrary, is the part of the website users cannot see and interact with.
- The visual aspects of the website that can be seen and experienced by users are frontend. On the other hand, everything that happens on the background can be attributed to the backend.
- Angular vs ReactJS : Which one is Most In-Demand Frontend Development Framework in 2019?
- Why is Parse Server the future of Backend As A Service?
- 5 Most Difficult Programming Languages of the World
- Configure Passwordless Sudo For A Specific User in Linux
- How to move an element to left, right, up and down using arrow keys ?
- How to check a checkbox with jQuery?
- What is the Efficient way to insert a number into a sorted array of numbers?
- How to merge the duplicate value in multidimensional array in PHP ?
- How to Show and Hide div elements using Checkboxes ?
- How to animate div width and height on mouse hover using jQuery ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.