You are given a points (x1, y1, z1) and a plane a * x + b * y + c * z + d = 0. The task is to find the perpendicular(shortest) distance between that point and the given Plane.
Input: x1 = 4, y1 = -4, z1 = 3, a = 2, b = -2, c = 5, d = 8
Output: Perpendicular distance is 6.78902858227
Input: x1 = 2, y1 = 8, z1 = 5, a = 1, b = -2, c = -2, d = -1
Output: Perpendicular distance is 8.33333333333
Approach: The perpendicular distance (i.e shortest distance) from a given point to a Plane is the perpendicular distance from that point to the given plane. Let the co-ordinate of the given point be (x1, y1, z1)
and equation of the plane be given by the equation a * x + b * y + c * z + d = 0, where a, b and c are real constants.
The formula for distance between a point and Plane in 3-D is given by:
Distance = (| a*x1 + b*y1 + c*z1 + d |) / (sqrt( a*a + b*b + c*c))
Below is the implementation of the above formulae:
Perpendicular distance is 6.78902858227
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Shortest distance between a Line and a Point in a 3-D plane
- Maximum distance between two points in coordinate plane using Rotating Caliper's Method
- Hammered distance between N points in a 2-D plane
- Find mirror image of a point in 2-D plane
- Number of jump required of given length to reach a point of form (d, 0) from origin in 2D plane
- Mirror of a point through a 3 D plane
- Find the foot of perpendicular of a point in a 3 D plane
- Find foot of perpendicular from a point in 2 D plane to a Line
- Perpendicular distance between a point and a Line in 2 D
- Shortest distance between a point and a circle
- Ratio of the distance between the centers of the circles and the point of intersection of two direct common tangents to the circles
- Ratio of the distance between the centers of the circles and the point of intersection of two transverse common tangents to the circles
- Distance of chord from center when distance between center and another equal length chord is given
- Find the minimum sum of distance to A and B from any integer point in a ring of size N
- Rotation of a point about another point in C++
- Reflection of a point at 180 degree rotation of another point
- Optimum location of point to minimize total distance
- Minimum distance from a point to the line segment using Vectors
- Sort an Array of Points by their distance from a reference Point
- Find the equation of plane which passes through two points and parallel to a given axis
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.