Insertion sort is a simple sorting algorithm that works the way we sort playing cards in our hands.
// Sort an arr of size n
Loop from i = 1 to n-1.
……a) Pick element arr[i] and insert it into sorted sequence arr[0…i-1]
Let us loop for i = 1 (second element of the array) to 4 (last element of the array)
i = 1. Since 11 is smaller than 12, move 12 and insert 11 before 12
11, 12, 13, 5, 6
i = 2. 13 will remain at its position as all elements in A[0..I-1] are smaller than 13
11, 12, 13, 5, 6
i = 3. 5 will move to the beginning and all other elements from 11 to 13 will move one position ahead of their current position.
5, 11, 12, 13, 6
i = 4. 6 will move to position after 5, and elements from 11 to 13 will move one position ahead of their current position.
5, 6, 11, 12, 13
5 6 11 12 13
Time Complexity: O(n*2)
Auxiliary Space: O(1)
Boundary Cases: Insertion sort takes maximum time to sort if elements are sorted in reverse order. And it takes minimum time (Order of n) when elements are already sorted.
Algorithmic Paradigm: Incremental Approach
Sorting In Place: Yes
Uses: Insertion sort is used when number of elements is small. It can also be useful when input array is almost sorted, only few elements are misplaced in complete big array.
What is Binary Insertion Sort?
We can use binary search to reduce the number of comparisons in normal insertion sort. Binary Insertion Sort uses binary search to find the proper location to insert the selected item at each iteration. In normal insertion, sorting takes O(i) (at ith iteration) in worst case. We can reduce it to O(logi) by using binary search. The algorithm, as a whole, still has a running worst case running time of O(n2) because of the series of swaps required for each insertion. Refer this for implementation.
How to implement Insertion Sort for Linked List?
Below is simple insertion sort algorithm for linked list.
1) Create an empty sorted (or result) list 2) Traverse the given list, do following for every node. ......a) Insert current node in sorted way in sorted or result list. 3) Change head of given linked list to head of sorted (or result) list.
Refer this for implementation.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Comparison among Bubble Sort, Selection Sort and Insertion Sort
- Insertion sort to sort even and odd positioned elements in different orders
- Insertion sort using C++ STL
- C Program for Insertion Sort
- Recursive Insertion Sort
- Binary Insertion Sort
- C Program for Recursive Insertion Sort
- C Program for Binary Insertion Sort
- Insertion Sort by Swapping Elements
- Java Program for Binary Insertion Sort
- Python Program for Binary Insertion Sort
- Insertion Sort for Doubly Linked List
- Python Program for Recursive Insertion Sort
- Time complexity of insertion sort when there are O(n) inversions?
- An Insertion Sort time complexity question