Star schema is the type of multidimensional model which is used for data warehouse. In star schema, The fact tables and the dimension tables are contained. In this schema fewer foreign-key join is used. This schema forms a star with fact table and dimension tables.
Snowflake Schema is also the type of multidimensional model which is used for data warehouse. In snowflake schema, The fact tables, dimension tables as well as sub dimension tables are contained. This schema forms a snowflake with fact tables, dimension tables as well as sub-dimension tables.
Let’s see the difference between Star and Snowflake Schema:
|S.NO||Star Schema||Snowflake Schema|
|1.||In star schema, The fact tables and the dimension tables are contained.||While in snowflake schema, The fact tables, dimension tables as well as sub dimension tables are contained.|
|2.||Star schema is a top-down model.||While it is a bottom-up model.|
|3.||Star schema uses more space.||While it uses less space.|
|4.||It takes less time for the execution of queries.||While it takes more time than star schema for the execution of queries.|
|5.||In star schema, Normalization is not used.||While in this, Both normalization and denormalization are used.|
|6.||It’s design is very simple.||While it’s design is complex.|
|7.||The query complexity of star schema is low.||While the query complexity of snowflake schema is higher than star schema.|
|8.||It’s understanding is very simple.||While it’s understanding is difficult.|
- Difference between Snowflake Schema and Fact Constellation Schema
- Difference between Star Schema and Fact Constellation Schema
- Snowflake Schema in Data Warehouse Model
- Star Schema in Data Warehouse modeling
- Difference between Schema and Database
- Schema Integration in DBMS
- Strategies for Schema design in DBMS
- Difference between Star and Ring Topology
- Difference between Star and Mesh Topology
- Difference Between BFS and DFS
- Difference between WCF and Web API
- Difference between MP4 and MP3
- Difference between URL and URI
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.