Given a size n in which initially all elements are 0. The task is to perform multiple multiple queries of following two types. The queries can appear in any order.
- toggle(start, end) : Toggle (0 into 1 or 1 into 0) the values from range ‘start’ to ‘end’.
- count(start, end) : Count the number of 1’s within given range from ‘start’ to ‘end’.
Input : n = 5 // we have n = 5 blocks toggle 1 2 // change 1 into 0 or 0 into 1 Toggle 2 4 Count 2 3 // count all 1's within the range Toggle 2 4 Count 1 4 // count all 1's within the range Output : Total number of 1's in range 2 to 3 is = 1 Total number of 1's in range 1 to 4 is = 2
A simple solutionfor this problem is to traverse the complete range for “Toggle” query and when you get “Count” query then count all the 1’s for given range. But the time complexity for this approach will be O(q*n) where q=total number of queries.
An efficient solution for this problem is to use Segment Tree with Lazy Propagation. Here we collect the updates until we get a query for “Count”. When we get the query for “Count”, we make all the previously collected Toggle updates in array and then count number of 1’s with in the given range.
Below is the implementation of above approach:
This article is contributed by Shashank Mishra ( Gullu ). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Binary array after M range toggle operations
- Queries for decimal values of subarrays of a binary array
- Count number of indices such that s[i] = s[i+1] : Range queries
- Queries to find distance between two nodes of a Binary tree
- Range queries to count 1s in a subarray after flip operations
- Binary Indexed Tree : Range Updates and Point Queries
- Find the Initial Array from given array after range sum queries
- Queries to find distance between two nodes of a Binary tree - O(logn) method
- Array range queries over range queries
- Min-Max Range Queries in Array
- Range product queries in an array
- Array range queries for elements with frequency same as value
- Queries on Left and Right Circular shift on array
- Array Queries for multiply, replacements and product
- Range Queries for Frequencies of array elements