There are ‘n’ points in a plane out of which ‘m points are collinear. How many different straight lines can form?
Input : n = 3, m = 3 Output : 1 We can form only 1 distinct straight line using 3 collinear points Input : n = 10, m = 4 Output : 40
Number of distinct Straight lines = nC2 – mC2 + 1
How does this formula work?
Consider the second example above. There are 10 points, out of which 4 collinear. A straight line will be formed by any two of these ten points. Thus forming a straight line amounts to selecting any two of the 10 points. Two points can be selected out of the 10 points in nC2 ways.
Number of straight line formed by 10 points when no 2 of them are co-linear = 10C2…..…(i)
Similarly, the number of straight lines formed by 4 points when no 2 of them are co-linear = 4C2….(ii)
Since straight lines formed by these 4 points are sane, straight lines formed by them will reduce to only one.
Required number of straight lines formed = 10C2– 4C2 + 1 = 45 – 6 + 1 = 40
Implementation of the approach is given as:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Count of triangles with total n points with m collinear
- Maximum points of intersections possible among X circles and Y straight lines
- Program to check if three points are collinear
- Number of triangles in a plane if no more than two points are collinear
- Count of rectangles possible from N and M straight lines parallel to X and Y axis respectively
- Count straight lines intersecting at a given point
- Count squares possible from M and N straight lines parallel to X and Y axis respectively
- Check if three straight lines are concurrent or not
- Check whether two straight lines are orthogonal or not
- Puzzle | Connect 9 circles each arranged at center of a Matrix using 3 straight lines
- Represent a given set of points by the best possible straight line
- Check whether a straight line can be formed using N co-ordinate points
- Count rectangles generated in a given rectangle by lines drawn parallel to X and Y axis from a given set of points
- Total number of triangles formed when there are H horizontal and V vertical lines
- Non-crossing lines to connect points in a circle
- Minimum lines to cover all points
- Maximum points of intersection n lines
- Number of triangles formed from a set of points on three lines
- Find whether only two parallel lines contain all coordinates points or not
- Number of pairs of lines having integer intersection points
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.