Given three lines equation,
a1x + b1y + c1 = 0
a2x + b2y + c2 = 0
a3x + b3y + c3 = 0
The task is to check whether the given three lines are concurrent or not. Three straight lines are said to be concurrent if they pass through a point i.e., they meet at a point.
Input : a1 = 2, b1 = -3, c1 = 5 a2 = 3, b2 = 4, c2 = -7 a3 = 9, b3 = -5, c3 = 8 Output : Yes Input : a1 = 2, b1 = -3, c1 = 5 a2 = 3, b2 = 4, c2 = -7 a3 = 9, b3 = -5, c3 = 4 Output : No
a1x + b1y + c1 = 0 ………. (1)
a2x + b2y + c2 = 0 ………. (2)
a3x + b3y + c3 = 0 ………. (3)
Suppose the eqn (i) and (ii) intersets at (x1, y1). Then (x1, y1) will satisfy bothe equations.
Therefore, solving (i) and (ii) using method of cross-multiplication, we get,
(x1/b1c2 – b2c1) = (y1/c1a2 – c2a1) = (1/a1b2 – a2b1)
x1 = (b1c2 – b2c1/a1b2 – a2b1) and
y1 = (c1a2 – c2a1/a1b2 – a2b1), a1b2 – a2b1 != 0
Therefore, the required coodinates of the point of intersection of the lines (i) and (ii) are
(b1c2 – b2c1/a1b2 – a2b1, c1a2 – c2a1/a1b2 – a2b1)
For, three of line to be concurrent, (x1, y1) must satisfy the equation (iii) as well.
a3x + b3y + c3 = 0
=> a3(b1c2 – b2c1/a1b2 – a2b1) + b3(c1a2 – c2a1/a1b2 – a2b1) + c3 = 0
=> a3(b1c2 – b2c1) + b3(c1a2 – c2a1) + c3(a1b2 – a2b1) = 0
So, we only need to check if above condition satisfy or not.
Below is the implemenatation of this approach:
- Check whether two straight lines are orthogonal or not
- Check if given two straight lines are identical or not
- Count of different straight lines with total n points with m collinear
- Check if it is possible to draw a straight line with the given direction cosines
- Represent a given set of points by the best possible straight line
- Length of the normal from origin on a straight line whose intercepts are given
- Area of triangle formed by the axes of co-ordinates and a given straight line
- Equation of straight line passing through a given point which bisects it into two equal line segments
- Distance between two parallel lines
- Maximum points of intersection n lines
- Program for Point of Intersection of Two Lines
- Minimum lines to cover all points
- Find whether only two parallel lines contain all coordinates points or not
- Pizza cut problem (Or Circle Division by Lines)
- Non-crossing lines to connect points in a circle
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.