Given two integers N and M, where N straight lines are parallel to the X-axis and M straight lines are parallel to Y-axis, the task is to calculate the number of rectangles that can be formed by these lines.
Input: N = 3, M = 6
There are total 45 rectangles possible with 3 lines parallel to x axis and 6 lines parallel to y axis.
Input: N = 2, M = 4
There are total 6 rectangles possible with 2 lines parallel to x axis and 4 lines parallel to y axis.
To solve the problem mentioned above we need to observe that a rectangle is formed by 4 straight lines in which opposite sides are parallel and the angle between any two sides is 90. Hence, for every rectangle, two sides need to be parallel to X-axis and the other two sides need to be parallel to Y-axis.
- Number of ways to select two lines parallel to X axis = NC2 and the Number of ways to select two lines parallel to Y axis = MC2 .
- So the total number of rectangles = NC2 * MC2 = [ N * (N – 1) / 2 ] * [ M * (M – 1) / 2 ]
Below is implementation of above approach:
Time Complexity: O(1)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Missing vertex among N axis-parallel rectangles
- Number of lines from given N points not parallel to X or Y axis
- Program to check if the points are parallel to X axis or Y axis
- Maximum points of intersections possible among X circles and Y straight lines
- Count of different straight lines with total n points with m collinear
- Count straight lines intersecting at a given point
- Check if three straight lines are concurrent or not
- Check whether two straight lines are orthogonal or not
- Check if given two straight lines are identical or not
- Puzzle | Connect 9 circles each arranged at center of a Matrix using 3 straight lines
- Count of Squares that are parallel to the coordinate axis from the given set of N points
- Count of Right-Angled Triangle formed from given N points whose base or perpendicular are parallel to X or Y axis
- Number of parallelograms when n horizontal parallel lines intersect m vertical parallellines
- Find whether only two parallel lines contain all coordinates points or not
- Distance between two parallel lines
- Maximum number of region in which N non-parallel lines can divide a plane
- Is it possible to reach N and M from 1 and 0 respectively as per given conditio
- Find the equation of plane which passes through two points and parallel to a given axis
- Count ways to generate pairs having Bitwise XOR and Bitwise AND equal to X and Y respectively
- Generate an Array in which count of even and odd sum sub-arrays are E and O respectively
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.