Talking about representation, trees can be represented in two ways:
1) Dynamic Node Representation (Linked Representation).
2) Array Representation (Sequential Representation).
We are going to talk about the sequential representation of the trees.
To represent tree using an array, the numbering of nodes can start either from 0–(n-1) or 1– n.
A(0) / \ B(1) C(2) / \ \ D(3) E(4) F(6) OR, A(1) / \ B(2) C(3) / \ \ D(4) E(5) F(7)
For first case(0—n-1),
For second case(1—n),
where father, left_son and right_son are the values of indices of the array.
Can't set child at 3, no parent found Can't set child at 4, no parent found A-C---F---
Note – Please refer this if you want to construct tree from the given parent array.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Complexity of different operations in Binary tree, Binary Search Tree and AVL tree
- Maximum sub-tree sum in a Binary Tree such that the sub-tree is also a BST
- Check if a binary tree is subtree of another binary tree | Set 1
- Binary Tree to Binary Search Tree Conversion
- Check if a binary tree is subtree of another binary tree | Set 2
- Convert a Binary Tree to Threaded binary tree | Set 1 (Using Queue)
- Check whether a binary tree is a full binary tree or not
- Convert a Binary Tree to Threaded binary tree | Set 2 (Efficient)
- Minimum swap required to convert binary tree to binary search tree
- Binary Tree | Set 3 (Types of Binary Tree)
- Check whether a binary tree is a full binary tree or not | Iterative Approach
- Binary Tree to Binary Search Tree Conversion using STL set
- Check whether a given binary tree is skewed binary tree or not?
- Difference between Binary Tree and Binary Search Tree
- Check if a binary tree is subtree of another binary tree using preorder traversal : Iterative
- Print Binary Tree levels in sorted order | Set 3 (Tree given as array)
- Palindromic Tree | Introduction & Implementation
- BK-Tree | Introduction & Implementation
- Decision tree implementation using Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.