Within just 10-15 seconds a visitor landing on your website can decide whether he/she should stay there or switch from there. No matter how much complex code you have written in the backend part of your website if your UI/UX part is not impressive then a user won’t take interest in other things and will move away from there. Website designing is subjective where a design can be impressive for one user but the same design might be ugly for another user and that’s the reason it is one of the most complex and creative jobs for designers. Web designing is not just about adding content and elements on your website to make it beautiful, it’s also about how you add everything to make it easy to use.
If the user is unable to determine the purpose of your website, if the user is facing difficulty in navigating from one page to another page, if the page layout is not impressive and easy to understand then these all are the sign of paying serious attention to your website. There are so many factors behind a poor website design that can leave a bad impression on a user. Let’s discuss some important factors and tips for effective website design…
Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
1. Have a Purpose and Plan
A user needs a reason to visit an application and that’s why your website should clearly explain or convey the services or products you are offering to the users. Your website and each page of it should have a purpose and clear specification that what it does. According to the goal (entertainment website, e-commerce site, social media, etc.) of your website make a rough sketch and identify all crucial elements (like navigation, contact information, call to action, search, footer, buttons, images, layouts) that you need to include on your website.
Understand your website from users’ points of view and plan according to that. Before you jump to the code figure out what’s your user’s expectation is, what pages they are going to view, what content they are going to read and according to that find out where you want elements to go.
Complexity is scary and in web designing less-is-more approach work more effectively. Make your website simple and try to display one detail at a time for getting the individual attention of each part. Most people put everything on the same page whatever they want on their website, which makes the screen cluttered and users get distracted and confused. Here are some tips to keep in mind for designing a clean and simple website…
- Don’t overload the information at home page on your website. If there is too much content or information, keep them on inner pages. Also, make your website consistent in terms of font-family, font-size, colors, images, headings and other aspects.
- Inlclude white spaces in your design. Give enough padding, margin, space between sections, paragraphs, and boxes. It highlights the content and makes your website easy to use.
- Limit the pull-out menus (drop-downs, fold-outs, etc.) and avoid using sidebars, sliders, accordions, tabs, and carousels which most of the web designers prefer to include on the website. The user gets distracted and ignores the rest of the useful content on the website. A research Notre Dame University also says that we should avoid using carousels to draw the users’ attention and increase the number of clicks.
Users should not face difficulty in reading the text on your website so you need to pay attention to the contrast between your text and its background. A lot of people use a background image with text over it where the image doesn’t have any overlay and the text gets blended with the image. You should use some dark overlay over the image and then the text over that to make your content readable.
The same goes for the colored background, for example, don’t use the dark gray color background with slightly lighter text over it instead of that use white color text, that will be more visible and readable. Also, don’t make the font size too small, keep your body text at least 16pt and take care of whitespaces between elements. Sans Serif typefaces are much preferable to use on the website.
People use mobile devices for most of their browsing and 50% of web traffic comes from mobile devices.These all are the reasons that your application should be viewable on different devices. Text, layout, images all the elements of your website should be viewable and accessible on different devices for better user experience. Learn to use CSS grid, media queries, bootstrap frameworks to make your application responsive or mobile-friendly.
5. Simple Navigation
Visitors will definitely move away from your website if they won’t be able to find out the things they are looking for and that’s the reason paying attention to the navigation of your website is extremely important. Navigation organizes your complete website and guides a user to move around your application. The navigation menu should be on the top and sticky on your website so if a user scrolls down the webpage they can still find and access the menu on your website. Below are some tips to make easy to navigate application…
- Use “three click rule” in your application that allow users to get all the information they need in in 3 clicks.
- More items in the menus confuse the visitors so try to list the items less than 7 also try to avoid dropdown menus, it becomes difficult for search engines to crawl drop-down menus.
- Brand logo of your website should redirect to a user on homepage.
6. Call To Action
It’s very important in your website to have a clear call to action button or form that indicates the next step or action user should take on a page to accomplish the task. For example, buy now, sign up, contact form, subscription, registration form, social media button, etc. CTA provides some sort of direction to the user once he/she knows the purpose of the website. Without CTA user won’t be able to find that whether he/she needs to purchase a product, do some kind of registration or take a subscription and the user may leave the website without completing the final task. It’s good if you keep your CTA above the fold so the visitor can find it right in front of them.
7. Load Speed
8. Prioritize Scrolling
We have already mentioned that you should avoid sliders or accordions to present a lot of information on the website. The best way to present more content and fit that into your website is by using the scrollbar. It has been found in one of the studies that conversion rates increase by up to 30% when you add scrolling feature in your webpage.
9. Pick Up The Right Images
A picture says a lot about a website and choosing the right image for your website can get a lot of visitors. We highly recommend you to use high-quality optimized speed which doesn’t affect your website speed. You can take the images from professionals or from photo stock that provide high-quality images with a natural look. Your image should clearly speak the type of message you want your user to understand. Adding photos of people can increase the conversion rates of your website.
10. Color Palette
The color of your website should match the brand of your website. Choosing the right color to represent your brand is very important. You also need to take care of contrast while choosing the color. When you are choosing colors for your website it should go well with each other also your text should be clear and readable. Your choice of color should not clash with each other for example don’t use purple and red color next to each other, it will make your site ugly. Use a single color for the main element (primary), highlights (secondary) and other less-important elements (background). You also need to keep in mind that your primary, secondary, and background colors should be consistent throughout your entire site. Vibrant colors create emotion so it should be used sparingly (e.g. for buttons and call to actions).
- 8 Effective Tips to Increase Productivity as a Developer
- 10 Tips to Protect Your Online Data Privacy in 2019
- Designing Use Cases for a Project
- Debugging: Tips To Get Better At It
- 10 Cybersecurity Tips For Entrepreneur
- 10 Security Tips for IoT Devices
- Important Tips on How To Prepare for the GRE
- 5 Programming Tips For Beginners
- 7 Tips For Performances Optimization in Web Development
- 10 Tips To Identify Phishing Emails
- Tips to Crack a Telephonic Job Interview
- 10 Tips to Prepare for a Video Job Interview
- Some Useful Tips for Choosing Best VPN and Recommended VPN Services
- Tips for Making Side Projects
- Resume Building - Resources and Tips
- Beginner Tips for Learning Python
- Tips for Writing a Research Paper
- 7 Best Tips to Prepare for Online Job Interviews
- 5 Tips and Tricks To Crack The Hackathon
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.