After creating a visualization in Tableau, in this article, we will learn how to change the organization of your data by manipulating the order of its fields. This article will show how to reorder and reorganize the fields within the visualization.
Steps to perform:
- In the Tableau, connect to the databases.
- The data source has three data files – Product, OrderDetails, PropertyInfo. These are three different excel sheet present in one data file.
- Open Product data file.
- Add OrderDetails data file, it contains the information about each order.
- Now you can see there is a join in the two data files.
- If you’ll hover on the join then you can see that there is a inner join using the common key i.e. Product ID. Inner join simply means that there are two files have a field in common and it can be combined easily.
- Next, add the PropertyInfo file and it can be see that it is also joined.
- If you’ll hover the mouse pointer then it can be clearly seen that OrderDetails and PropertyInfo are inner joined using the key – PropertyID.
- Now, that data is completely ready for data visualisation.
- Click Quantity and then at the top right corner of the screen, at the right edge of the toolbar, there is the Show Me button. Visualisation can be obtained using the Show Me option.
- I will drag a product category to the Columns area, for that go over to the Data area and drag Product Category to the Columns area, and then I will drag Property City to the Rows shelf here, which is available, and then I’ll put in my Quantity data in the body of the table. So I’ll go down to the Measures group, drag Quantity in, and there I have all of my data.
- Let’s say that instead of having the categories along the top in the Columns area, that I want to see my data broken down in the Rows area by city, and then by category. To do that, I can drag the Product Category pill from the Column shelf down to the Rows shelf, and have it to the right of Property City. So go ahead and drag that down, and you can see that a downward-pointing orange rectangle appears, and that indicates the place of Product Category. So when I release the left mouse button, I can see that I have my Property City and then Product Category and Quantity. So again, it’s just a different reorganization.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.