Given a Binary Tree having odd and even elements, sink all its odd valued nodes such that no node with odd value could be parent of node with even value. There can be multiple outputs for a given tree, we need to print one of them. It is always possible to convert a tree (Note that a node with even nodes and all odd nodes follows the rule)
Input : 1 / \ 2 3 Output 2 2 / \ OR / \ 1 3 3 1 Input : 1 / \ 5 8 / \ / \ 2 4 9 10 Output : 2 4 / \ / \ 4 8 OR 2 8 OR .. (any tree with / \ / \ / \ / \ same keys and 5 1 9 10 5 1 9 10 no odd is parent of even)
We strongly recommend you to minimize your browser and try this yourself first.
Basically, we need to swap odd value of a node with even value of one of its descendants. The idea is to traverse the tree in postorder fashion. Since we process in postorder, for each odd node encountered, its left and right subtrees are already balanced (sinked), we check if it’s an odd node and its left or right child has an even value. If even value is found, we swap the node’s data with that of even child node and call the procedure on the even child to balance the subtree. If both children have odd values, that means that all its descendants are odd.
Below is the implementation of the idea.
Level order traversal of modified tree 2 4 8 5 1 9 10
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Tree Traversals (Inorder, Preorder and Postorder)
- Find the node with minimum value in a Binary Search Tree
- Write a program to Calculate Size of a tree | Recursion
- Write a Program to Find the Maximum Depth or Height of a Tree
- Write a program to Delete a Tree
- If you are given two traversal sequences, can you construct the binary tree?
- Convert a Binary Tree into its Mirror Tree
- Given a binary tree, print out all of its root-to-leaf paths one per line.
- Lowest Common Ancestor in a Binary Search Tree.
- The Great Tree-List Recursion Problem.
- Check sum of Covered and Uncovered nodes of Binary Tree
- Level Order Tree Traversal
- Program to count leaf nodes in a binary tree
- A program to check if a binary tree is BST or not
- Check for Children Sum Property in a Binary Tree
Improved By : SHUBHAMSINGH10