short notes on report writing software
Definition of Report: A business report is a document that conveys specific information about your business to other individuals those can be investors, employees, managers or other superior.
Report Writing Software:It consist of programs that produce both periodic reports and special reports.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Periodic Reports:They are routine reports on a scheduled time(periodically). These reports are issued weekly, quarterly, or annually. For example, feedback.
- Specific Reports: They are type of unscheduled report that may be requested by managers.
Steps of writing a Report:
- Define the problem.
- Gather the necessary information.
- Analyse the information.
- Organize the information.
- Write report.
Principles of writing a Report:
- One should highlight the important information- managers should not have to waste their time searching the information they need.
- Report should be as simple as possible- should be in simple format, consistency of language should be maintained, free from jargon etc.
- Backup detail should be available.
- Graphic Form: Used when the information is not quantitative or an overview is needed, pictures can be used.
- Tabular Form: Frequently used, which tabulates the production figures of one department.
- Narrative Form: Used when the information is subjective and quantitative.
Management by Exception:
- Prepare the report only when exceptions occur: These report printed only when employees work overtime, each entry on the report is an exception.
- By showing variance from normal: Here the reports contain the details of the comparisons of the actual activity with the planned activity.
- Grouping the exception together: The exceptions of special interest for the manager can be grouped and highlighted for quick attention.
- Highlighting exception by maintaining a certain sequence: It is possible to sort report records into either in an ascending or descending sequence based on one or more key fields.
Importance of writing a Report:
- Providing a deeper insight.
- Highlights the specific problem of a business.
- Help adopt right marketing strategy.
- Helps in decision making and problem solving.