Before we start discussing about __func__, let us write some code snippet and anticipate the output:
Will it compile error due to not defining variable __func__ ? Well, as you would have guessed so far, it won’t give any compile error and it’d print main!
C language standard (i.e. C99 and C11) defines a predefined identifier as follows in clause 188.8.131.52:
“The identifier __func__ shall be implicitly declared by the translator as if, immediately following the opening brace of each function definition, the declaration
static const char __func__ = “function-name”;
appeared, where function-name is the name of the lexically-enclosing function.”
It means that C compiler implicitly adds __func__ in every function so that it can be used in that function to get the function name. To understand it better, let us write this code:
And it’ll give output as foobar. A use case of this predefined identifier could be logging the output of a big program where a programmer can use __func__ to get the current function instead of mentioning the complete function name explicitly. Now what happens if we define one more variable of name __func__
Since C standard says compiler implicitly defines __func__ for each function as the function-name, we should not defined __func__ at the first place. You might get error but C standard says “undefined behaviour” if someone explicitly defines __func__ .
Just to finish the discussion on Predefined Identifier __func__, let us mention Predefined Macros as well (such as __FILE__ and __LINE__ etc.) Basically, C standard clause 6.10.8 mentions several predefined macros out of which __FILE__ and __LINE__ are of relevance here.
It’s worthwhile to see the output of the following code snippet:
Instead of explaining the output, we will leave this to you to guess and understand the role of __FILE__ and __LINE__!
Please do Like/Tweet/G+1 if you find the above useful. Also, please do leave us comment for further clarification or info. We would love to help and learn 🙂
- Computer Network | Service Set Identifier (SSID)
- Using predefined class name as Class or Variable name in Java
- Sum of array Elements without using loops and recursion
- Program to Convert Hexadecimal to Octal
- Is there any equivalent to typedef of C/C++ in Java ?
- Program to Print Mirrored Hollow Parallelogram
- A subtle guide to get that college internship
- “static const” vs “#define” vs “enum”
- Why are elementwise additions much faster in separate loops than in a combined loop?
- Difference between Static and Shared libraries
- GDB (Step by Step Introduction)
- C++ | Nested Ternary Operator
- Working of Keyword long in C programming