Like functions, we can also pass variable length arguments to macros. For this we will use the following preprocessor identifiers.
To support variable length arguments in macro, we must include ellipses (…) in macro definition. There is also “__VA_ARGS__” preprocessing identifier which takes care of variable length argument substitutions which are provided to macro. Concatenation operator ## (aka paste operator) is used to concatenate variable arguments.
Let us see with example. Below macro takes variable length argument like “printf()” function. This macro is for error logging. The macro prints filename followed by line number, and finally it prints info/error message. First arguments “prio” determines the priority of message, i.e. whether it is information message or error, “stream” may be “standard output” or “standard error”. It displays INFO messages on stdout and ERROR messages on stderr stream.
Compile and run the above program, it produces below result.
[narendra@/media/partition/GFG]$ ./variable_length [ERR] : variable_length.c : 26 : Failed to open file [INFO] : variable_length.c : 27 : Hello Geeks for Geeks [INFO] : variable_length.c : 28 : 10 + 20 = 30 [narendra@/media/partition/GFG]$
This article is compiled by Narendra Kangralkar. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- How to Count Variable Numbers of Arguments in C?
- Variable Length Arrays in C and C++
- Variable Length Argument in C
- Can we access global variable if there is a local variable with same name?
- X-Macros in C
- Macros vs Functions
- Macros and its types in C/C++
- Multiline macros in C
- Branch prediction macros in GCC
- Predefined Macros in C with Examples
- Hygienic Macros : An Introduction
- Data Type Ranges and their macros in C++
- Interesting Facts about Macros and Preprocessors in C
- Internal static variable vs. External static variable with Examples in C
- Command line arguments in C/C++
- Templates and Default Arguments
- Command line arguments example in C
- Some Interesting facts about default arguments in C++
- When do we pass arguments by reference or pointer?
- Default arguments and virtual function