Linux is an operating system which is developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991. The name “Linux” originates from the Linux kernel. It is open-source and free to use the operating system. It is used for computer hardware and software, game development, mainframes, etc. It can run various client programs.
Unix is a portable, multi-tasking, a multi-user operating system developed by AT&T. It started as a one-man venture under the initiative of Ken Thompson of Bell Labs. It proceeded to turn out to become the most widely used operating systems. It is used in web servers, workstations, and PCs. Many business applications are accessible in it.
|Linux is Open Source, and a large number of programmer work together online and contribute to its development.||Unix was developed by AT&T Labs, different commercial vendors, and non-profit organizations.|
|It is an open-source operating system which is freely accessible to everyone.||It is an operating system which can be only utilized by its copywriters.|
|Threat recognition and solution is very fast because Linux is mainly community-driven. So, if any Linux client posts any sort of threat, a team of qualified developers starts working to resolve this threat.||Unix clients require longer hold up time, to get the best possible bug fixing patch.|
|It supports more file system than Unix.||It also supports file system however lesser than Linux.|
|File system supports – Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, Jfs, ReiserFS, Xfs, Btrfs, FAT, FAT32, NTFS||File system supports – jfs, gpfs, hfs, hfs+, ufs, xfs, zfs|
|Linux provides two GUIs, KDE and Gnome. But there are many other options. For example, LXDE, Xfce, Unity, Mate, and so on.||Initially Unix was a command based OS, however later a GUI was created called Common Desktop Environment. Most distributions now ship with Gnome.|
|It is used everywhere from servers, PCs, smartphones, tablets to mainframes.||It is used in servers, workstations, and PCs.|
|The default interface is BASH (Bourne Again SHell).||It initially used Bourne shell. But is also compatible with other GUIs.|
|Anybody can use Linux whether a home client, developer or a student.||Developed mainly for servers, workstations, and mainframes.|
|The source is accessible to the general public.||The source is not accessible to the general public.|
|Originally developed for Intel’s x86 hardware processors. It is available for more than twenty different types of CPU which also includes an ARM.||It is available on PA-RISC and Itanium machines.|
|It has about 60-100 viruses listed till date.||It has about 85-120 viruses listed till date (rough estimate).|
|Some Linux versions are Ubuntu, Debian GNU, Arch Linux, etc.||Some Unix versions are SunOS, Solaris, SCO UNIX, AIX, HP/UX, ULTRIX, etc.|
- Linux is only the kernel, and is not the full system that is used.
- More than 90% of current Linux source code is composed by other developers.
- Initially, Linux was compiled using GNU C compiler.
- There are more than 10 Linux based Mobile operating Systems like Sailfish OS, Ubuntu Touch, Ubuntu Mobile, etc.
- Linux is used by every major space program.
- Nine out of top ten public clouds run on Linux.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Piping in Unix or Linux
- Sed Command in Linux/Unix with examples
- grep command in Unix/Linux
- Essential Linux/Unix Commands
- Environment Variables in Linux/Unix
- Wget command in Linux/Unix
- tr command in Unix/Linux with examples
- AWK command in Unix/Linux with examples
- Soft and Hard links in Unix/Linux
- SORT command in Linux/Unix with examples
- vi Editor in UNIX
- systemctl in Unix
- Unix File System
- Introduction to UNIX System
- Commands in Unix when things go wrong