TELNET stands for TErminaL NETwork. It is a type of protocol that enables one computer to connect to local computer. It is a used as a standard TCP/IP protocol for virtual terminal service which is given by ISO. Computer which starts connection known as the local computer. Computer which is being connected to i.e. which accepts the connection known as remote computer. When the connection is established between local and remote computer. During telnet operation whatever that is performing on the remote computer will be displayed by local computer. Telnet operates on client/server principle. Local computer uses telnet client program and the remote computers uses telnet server program.
TELNET Commands :
Commands of the telnet are identified by a prefix character, Interpret As Command (IAC) which is having code 255. IAC is followed by command and option codes. Basic format of the command is as shown in the following figure :
Following are some of the important TELNET commands :
|WILL||251||11111011||1. Offering to enable.|
2. Accepting a request to enable.
|WON’T||252||11111100||1. Rejecting a request to enable.|
2. Offering to disable.
3. Accepting a request to disable.
|DO||253||11111101`||1. Approving a request to enable.|
2. Requesting to enable.
|DON’T||254||11111110||1. Disapproving a request to enable.|
2. Approving an offer to disable.
3. Requesting to disable.
Following are some common options used with the telnet :
|0||Binary||It interpret as 8-bit binary transmission.|
|1||Echo||It will echo the data that received on one side to the other side.|
|3||Suppress go ahead||It will suppress go ahead signal after data.|
|5||Status||It will request for the status of TELNET.|
|6||Timing mark||It define the timing marks.|
|8||Line width||It specifies the line width.|
|9||Page size||It specifies the number of lines in a page.|
|24||Terminal type||It set the terminal type.|
|32||Terminal speed||It set the terminal speed.|
|34||Line mode||It will change to the line mode.|
Modes of Operation :
Most telnet implementation operates in one of the following three modes :
Default mode Character mode Line mode
Default Mode :
- If there is no other modes are invoked then this mode is used.
- Echoing is performed in this mode by client.
- In this mode, user types a character and client enchoes the character on the screen but it does not send it until whole line is completed.
Character Mode :
- Each character typed in this mode is sent by client to server.
- Server in this type of mode is normally enchoes character back to be displayed on the client’s screen.
Line Mode :
- Line editing like echoing, character erasing etc is done from the client side.
- Client will send the whole line to the server.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.