Interview with Microsoft (office 365 Hyderabad team) at their Bengaluru office.
Hi, I am a backend developer with 8 years of hands-on experience. One of the HR person from Microsoft approached me to check if I am interested in an opportunity with them, I was told that there will be total four rounds on the same day, 3 rounds followed by hiring manager round.
Hey geek! It's time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsoft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!
2 interviewers in the panel, one was asking questions other was making notes on his laptop
Asked about my past projects, as soon as I mentioned “NoSQL/Cassandra” he asked:
- What’s NoSQL?
- Why you chose it over RDBMS?
- What can NoSQL achieve that RDBMS can not?
- Write code to find max sum subarray in a given array.
- Given a sorted array of integers with size n, find if there exists a number that is repeated at least n/4 times, n is length of array. Time complexity should be less than O(n). Explain approach and write code.
Initially I was asked to code in any language but later they kept me from writing scala code and ask me to write in other language, I wrote in Java.
A senior guy from PowerPoint mobile app team interviewed me.
- Given a circular LinkedList which is sorted, Given a node of this LL and an integer, WAP to insert the item in the LL so that the LL remains sorted after insertion, handle all edge cases.
- One more question that I forgot.
A lady (very senior) from Excel online team interviewed me.
- Same questions about NoSQL as in round 1.
- Given a list of train schedules (arrival and departure time), find the minimum number of platforms required to run the trains. Write a program.
- Design a phone book. Follow up: how do you store and retrieve data in Trie data structure?
Round 4 (HM round):
Very senior guy working on a instant messenger product.
- How have your other rounds been?
- Asked about my past projects, as I mentioned “NoSQL/Cassandra” he asked the same questions as in round 1.
- OO design of an elevator. Write interfaces and implementation and logic.
- Why you want to leave your current job?
- Why Microsoft?
- He told me about how they decide which team to deploy a new joiner in?
All the interviewers gave me enough time to ask questions, except the HM. They have been polite and calm all the time. Overall it was a great experience.
I have been to all the rounds and within two days I got a standard rejection mail.