Interactive Problems are those problems in which our solution or code interacts with the judge in real time. When we develop a solution for an Interactive Problem then the input data given to our solution may not be predetermined but is built for that problem specifically. The solution performs a series of exchange of data with the judge and at the end of the conversation the judge decides whether our solution was correct or not.
Guessing the Number (An Interactive Problem)
In this problem the user has to guess the number during a communication with the judge. The user is provided with the upper and lower bound and he/she can ask the judge whether a number is the number to be guessed. The judge replies with -1 if the number is smaller than the number to be guessed or 1 if number is greater than the number to be guessed or 0 if it is equal to the number to be guessed.
Approach 1 : Linear Guessing
The user can query the judge for all the numbers between lower limit and upper limit to find the solution.
Time Complexity: O(n)
Approach 2 : Applying Binary Search
We can also apply binary search interactively to find the solution. This solution is efficient as compared to the previous approach.
Time Complexity: O(logn)
Algorithm Paradigm: Divide and Conquer
- Interactive Problems in Competitive Programming | Set 2
- Tips and Tricks for Competitive Programmers | Set 2 (Language to be used for Competitive Programming)
- How can competitive programming help you get a job?
- Bit Tricks for Competitive Programming
- C++ tricks for competitive programming (for C++ 11)
- Must do Math for Competitive Programming
- What is Competitive Programming and How to Prepare for It?
- Which C++ libraries are useful for competitive programming?
- A Better Way To Approach Competitive Programming
- Fast I/O for Competitive Programming
- Python in Competitive Programming
- How to become a master in competitive programming?
- What Are The Best Resources For Competitive Programming?
- How to begin with Competitive Programming?
- Which Python Modules are useful for competitive programming?
- Competitive Programming: Conquering a given problem
- Importance of Testing In Competitive Programming
- Bitwise Hacks for Competitive Programming
- Some important shortcuts in Competitive Programming
- Which Java libraries are useful for competitive programming?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.